Dirt Stains

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those soil-stained clothes can be a challenge. In Arkansas I wore jeans and didn't worry about it that much since I was so isolated but down here I wear earth colored shorts much of the year outside and I have neighbors. So I'm a little more concerned about appearance. Being dirty and sweaty does't bother me, it's honest dirt and sweat but long term stains and such I'll try to take care of. I have a changing room set up in my detached workshop so I change from everyday clothes into my work clothes out there. That way I don't track nearly as much dirt and trash into the house. I did that in Arkansas too, sometimes in winter it did not take me long to change. Down here I'm toweling off sweat to keep my better clothing fresher, it's not just dirt and trash.

I used to work in T-shirts a lot, I'd collect them as souvenirs when I traveled and then use them. But I switched to button up shirts. The T-shirts would stick when I tried to pull them off from me being so sweaty, they tended to tear, especially under the arms. Button up shirts come off much easier. I rip the old T-shirts into strips and use those strips to tie up plants like tomatoes that I want to train to a trellis or cage. They are good for starting pole beans up a support.

My method for washing is to first rinse my work clothes outside in a bucket to remove loose dirt and trash. For stained areas I rub some liquid detergent on that stain before they are washed. I run it through a pre-soak cycle and use the deep water setting. That and the shorts being dirt colored to start with seems to take care of it. Shirts and hats can also be challenging, especially hats at the sweat band.

I sincerely dislike white clothing, even hats. I just cannot keep them clean at all. My everyday clothing tends to make its way into my work clothes so I try to bear that in mind when buying clothing. I buy a lot of my work clothes at a thrift store, especially charity thrift stores. The price is right and I can usually get a lot of wear out of them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner , I work some shampoo into the sweat band, let the hat sit awhile, then throw it in with a load of clothes. My problem is that it will shrink after a few washings ;).

My gardens are mostly distant so I'm driving to them. Often, I will want to stop at a store on the way home but won't. Usually, it's because my shoes are muddy. (Sometimes, it's because my hat looks funny ;).)

The neighbors everywhere are used to my funny hats and seeing me scuffed up. I try not to shock them with holes in my pants ... :)

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm happy to not need to wear rubber boots.

Nothing like getting stuck in the corral after lots of wet weather.

Literally, stuck ..!

Steve

in the clay here i've often left shoes behind and had to dig them out. one time making a drainage trench that was going through an area that had a small spring i decided to dig it barefoot and with a hand trowel because it was easier than trying to keep my shoes on and the shovel clean enough to do any good.

i garden with two pairs of shoes. the pair i wear in the garden and the pair i leave on the pathway so that i can step into them as i get out of the garden. it's now a habit to take my garden bucket with me almost everywhere as it contains the extra shoes, the weeding knife, a small garden trowel. and i usually have second bucket for weeds that must go to the weed pile instead of those that are being recycled in place (left on the surface to dry out and become worm food).

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry but I disagree. I have bought shoes in excellent condition at garage sale and have no problem wearing them after I've cleaned them up.

Mary

I agree. I generally wear mine out so they cannot be reused but a decent pair of shoes at a real nice price were a hot commodity at the charity thrift shop I worked at in Arkansas. Some of those are like new.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
As someone who grew up wearing hand-me-downs, I only buy new now-but not over priced brands. I look for quality not brand. & USA if I can find it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
As someone who grew up wearing hand-me-downs, I only buy new now-but not over priced brands. I look for quality not brand. & USA if I can find it.
As the last of the girls I too grew up with had me downs. I’ll buy used clothing if it’s in good shape. But for some reason my husband doesn’t like me doing that. He’s always telling me that I don’t have to buy used clothing. That we can afford new. Other stuff is ok.

Mary

Latest posts