Dirt Stains

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hog #2 is processed and on an extended vacation in Camp Kenmore. :lol: Still have to make sausage. Hog #3 has a date with a .243 tomorrow AM. I am freakin' tired!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_1818.JPG

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My biggest stain problem is getting cooking oil on my shirts, a pop when frying or a splash from chicken broth or what ever. Can't get the spot out. A "good" shirt becomes a "home" shirt in an instant.
My outside work clothes are usually what's most comfortable and worn--and stained. Wouldn't dare wear them to town.
But, Thistle, I am not employed, so I don't have a good excuse.

When I had my business, it used to really annoy me when farmers or construction workers would come in right out of a muddy field, with two inches of mud caked on their boots. They would leave a trail from the door to the cash register.
I appreciated their business, but sure wished they would have taken the time to knock the mud off before getting in their truck.

Aprons. I love my aprons I have been sewing up these past few years. If I get home from town, and not really enough time to change into my "junk" clothes, I slap an apron on top. The grease can splat on there.. :thumbsup

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Stains out in public, I stop by the restroom and dab on some of that hand soap from a dispenser. Take it off at home and roll it up for the laundry basket. By the time I get to wash it, it has been pre-treated nicely.
Dirt stains....depends on the dirt. If seriously bad, take them to the hose and blast it out with a sprayer. Then run it through the machine.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
There are several really good laundry detergents out there. My favorite is ERA and many people swear by Tide, and others, of course. Not here to debate, BUT DD has a pair of Illini sweatpants that she loves. (It is her Alma Mater.) The pants are white and the decoration is not bleach safe. The only ways to get the cuffs clean is to soak in ERA straight in a bowl (or a dry washer) for 24 hours, and then wash. Got them white every time. Try this first bc Oxyclean and some others will fade out colors sometimes and that defeats the purpose.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This thread ended in early July, last year. I haven't reread it.

I was intimidated by the iron stain spray even though it said on the label that it could be used on "fabric." It also cautioned on contacting the poison center, etc. etc.! I tried, perhaps too diluted with water, it didn't do the job.

Then, I remembered what I'd tried once or twice during 2016: prewash and leave overnight. Run the soil-stained pants through the full wash cycle the next day. It works better than the Spray and Wash. By far!

The prewash followed by all those hours overnight sitting soapy - it's a pretty good technique. In the fall, a few uses and washings without adding new dirt, and the strains disappear.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i made the mistake of not changing my shirt this morning when starting tomatoes. within a few minutes i managed to squirt myself good all up the front. :) got the seeds scraped off me and then hit it with Shout and put it in the hamper and put on an old t-shirt which i usually would have been wearing. it happens to be so holey that i'll be throwing it out once it gets dirty enough. it was supposed to be thrown out a week ago but somehow[tm] it got put in the clothes hamper for another round. :)

i normally have my grubbies or sweats on here. i'm not concerned about making a good impression on the garden plants or other creatures about. i have old pants for gardening. five pair that should last me the rest of my life or nearly so at the rate i go through them. they are a very good quality canvass. if i lose enough weight i'll have to use suspenders or a rope to hold them up. don't care. i like them. extra pocketses... shirts are usually old t-shirts that used to be "out and about or nearly dress up type t-shirts". those are also likely my garden t-shirts under a long sleeved other shirt of some type to keep the sun off me.

i don't mind if any of my grubbies or garden things have stains on them, but it's pretty rare that happens. more likely what happens around here are bleach spots because Mom goes rather wild with the stuff. she's very picky about whites and stains on them not being white enough. i've been able to help her moderate the use of bleach in the sinks and dishes by having a separate container with diluted bleach available to use as a spray. i think that's helped quite a bit the past few months. at least i no longer often have burning eyes when the fumes get to me. it still happens, but i'm glad for any improvement there...

iron out could be used on whites once in a while, but more often than not by the time the fabric gets old enough to show yellow from the rust in the water it's also falling apart from the bleach.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally had to throw away one of my favorite work shirts the other day....can't remember the last time I actually did THAT. But, it had such large holes in it that I couldn't gather eggs in it safely any longer. Dropped a few eggs and had to admit that it was more air than material by now and deserved to RIP~rest in pieces.