Discombobulated

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just reading what a NYC university professor was saying about "feeling unwell the last two days - tired, headache, foggy brain."

Of course, she was concerned about COVID infection but didn't know how since she and her spouse had been so careful!

Then, she discovered that she HAD BEEN MAKING DECAF COFFEE FOR 2 DAYS! Yes, I understand this - not only do I not like my "special decaf" but I feel different after drinking it. How I feel before coffee time determines what percentage is caffeinated and what is decaf. Usually, it's 50:50 in the coffee maker. Perhaps too often, it's 75:25 favoring the caffeinated. It just depends how I feel. Fortunately, I have clearly marked bags ...

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just reading what a NYC university professor was saying about "feeling unwell the last two days - tired, headache, foggy brain."

Of course, she was concerned about COVID infection but didn't know how since she and her spouse had been so careful!

Then, she discovered that she HAD BEEN MAKING DECAF COFFEE FOR 2 DAYS!
So, she was having withdrawal symptoms. :sick Been there, done that. I used to think that my Saturday headaches were from over-sleeping... but they were from not drinking the 3 cups of coffee I drank each day at work. I'm OK now, since I drink the same amount of coffee and/or caffeinated beverages every day. :caf

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, she was having withdrawal symptoms. :sick Been there, done that. I used to think that my Saturday headaches were from over-sleeping... but they were from not drinking the 3 cups of coffee I drank each day at work. I'm OK now, since I drink the same amount of coffee and/or caffeinated beverages every day. :caf

i would get withdrawal headaches every Sunday. and this after drinking only a half a cup of very weak coffee at work every day and then i would skip Saturday and wake up Sunday with the headache. i now don't have caffiene every day and i don't get the headaches.

today in honor of the Easter Bunny i had a cup of hot chocolate and it makes me zoom. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet, @flowerbug ! I was wondering about getting through Easter without chocolate candy. You have just given my an idea: raid DW's stash of Hot Chocolate.

I imagine that many have agreed on the idea that caffeine improves mental clarity, especially for those who drink it regularly. Perhaps there is some good evidence now on heart function.

It doesn't help the stomach and I was told by my doctor about 20 years ago to give it up - any kind. Of course, I ignored him ... I did make some changes. First off, I wondered why just stopping the caffeine wouldn't be enuf. Reading informed me that coffee is acidic. Not terribly so but ... two problems for the stomach. I tried avoiding, at least some of the caffeine. Yuk! When I thought that I had found a good brand, the very next bag was yuk, again! (I think that the first bag was mislabeled.)

Tried ground caffeinated 50:50 with either chicory or dandelion roots roasted and ground, not bad. Tried a roasted fig beverage. Sweet but tasty. All were somewhat of a bother.

@so lucky on TEG, where I gather half of life's information, suggested Kava. It has the caffeine but reduced acid and, hard to believe as an instant, tasted pretty good with hot diluted almond milk. Now, it's off the market, I guess. Dang convenient for a quick afternoon cup right up until it disappeared from the shelf. I've got a decaf instant now and I'm not nearly as happy with it.

Don't quite know what to do when I'm in a hurry.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet, @flowerbug ! I was wondering about getting through Easter without chocolate candy. You have just given my an idea: raid DW's stash of Hot Chocolate.

Don't quite know what to do when I'm in a hurry.

in a hurry?!? i think the recent trend of the past 20yrs is to "Take a pill!" if you've ever seen the old show _Fridays_ you'd know the skits i'm referencing. still among my favorite of all time.

which reminds me of an old statement we used to make as a joke to someone who was getting too hyper we'd say "Chill out and take a pill!" now that's, like, not even a statement upon much of anything and people would just *blink* at you...

just in case you think there's a point to this reply i should warn you that there may not be at all... :) and i think it rather amusing that this thread may have circled around like the snake biting it's tail...