Discombobulated

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the trivia forum but does it seem kind of ridiculous, the minor things that we are dealing with at home with life grinding down people out there in everything from illness, to healthcare to trying to keep the toilet 🚽 paper shelves stocked at the stores?

I've ventured out several times and had little problems to no problems and been a little disappointed in some people's behavior and been encouraged by other's :). I'm coming to terms with a new meaning of "essential."

I found a tiny screw on the floor. Trivial, I guess 😄! I mean, it was so small that if it had been in our low fiber carpeting, I'm not sure that it would ever have been seen. I immediately checked our eyeglasses. Nope. I have no idea where it came from!

Should this sheltering in place be easier for Millennials with their overwhelmed focus on their phones? That, and their strong tendencies to not make eye contact or interact with people that they don't know?

A I , artificial intelligence ... How would you train a computer to interact in social media? Copying and pasting with limited human direction the first several weeks with more and more autonomy? Would the humans on the internet be able to guess this is what is going on or just set that suspicion aside as too unlikely?

And, what about online marketing -- are you becoming very nearly overwhelmed?

What's going on with you as your world both narrows within 4 walls and widens with international news?

Steve

Dig, my life hasn't changed much at all...truly. Other than hearing about odds and ends of inconveniences when it comes to shopping from other folks, I've not experienced much change other than not getting to go to Good Will, which I miss. One major change is that we cannot visit my father in the nursing home, which is more an irritation than anything else. Another change will be likely~will most likely not be able to get our usual rental for the yearly family fishing trip....will have to see about that one when the time comes. May just have to buy a tent and go camping instead.

We don't have TV nor listen to or watch the news, so are not inundated with all the hype around all this, nor do we believe half of it, so we aren't feeling any anxiety....wouldn't even if we did. We live out in the sticks and have been homesteading since the late 70s, so are always reasonably well stocked with necessities(even TP) at all times, as well as with staple foods and I fill the shelves with home canned food each year also. Got chickens, so gots plenty of eggs....have shared those with family and others.

My world has always been narrow as I don't get out much nor have a social group other than immediate family, which we are still carrying on as per usual~visiting, birthday parties, sleep overs, etc. Mom really misses HER social life, as she has a dance group she practices and performs with twice a week, but she's keeping in touch with them via phone.

Life as usual here...working hard on the place~spring is always the busiest time of the year with babies coming right and left, gardens to prep and plant, a million projects underway, etc. Gas prices are really good here, and we are keeping stocked up on gas so we can get all our choring done that requires fuel. Going about our lives as per usual and shaking our heads about all the nonsense happening around this event....for us it's mostly an irritant, like a mosquito that just won't stop buzzing around our heads.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Changes due to 'The Virus'
- gloves all day at work
- nails soft, brittle & peeled/split/broken back to the quick
- but still HAVE a job and trying to remember to be grateful for it
- mask whenever interacting with drivers, customers, public..
- learning to manage claustrophobia induced hyperventilation
- thinking before any trip to the store - do I really need this bad enough to deal with the trouble
- thinking the same thing before stopping at the gas station
- have yet to need something that wasn't available at the store, grateful that I can pull from my canned and frozen provisions
- feeling terribly isolated but limiting all communication with anyone because all anyone will talk about is 'The Virus'
- trying to see the blessing of being isolated and alone - no worries about bringing anything home to loved ones..
- having recently given up satellite tv and gotten an antennae - learning that preschool PBS can be a very comforting escape from adulting - Daniel Tiger, Pinkilicious, Nature Cat and Peg + Cat are my new best friends

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters , check out the Odd Squad :D. I watch that about once a month, Mostly to see if those charming kids are growing up and, I guess, to reassure myself that the Canadians are gonna be just fine ;).

"learning to manage claustrophobia induced hyperventilation" ??

No, my late March and April hasn't changed much from the usual, the last few years. I've been busy around the yard when the weather allows it. Mostly, I'm stuck with monitoring greenhouse conditions. A few years back, I was really resentful of all that necessary attention. Now, there doesn't seem to be much else to do ... And, I have always appreciated being in a greenhouse during bad weather. A guy once described my job, when I was actually working at a commercial greenhouse, as a "lark." At that time, I thought - you are right about the half of it but what about the unpleasantness trying to deal with heating during the winter and the risky work above the glass 🙄?

Things that are usual in late spring will soon be the order of the days. I don't yet know how that might be different. One thing, while I hang around monitoring the greenhouse (it is 23°f this morning, for Pete's Sake!) is that I'm making a list of what I need at the hardware store. I should always do that ... but the store is convenient .... Not, these Days! Anyway, I can't work even in the yard without tools and supplies. My once a week trip to the food store has been busy with side trips!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
- having recently given up satellite tv and gotten an antennae - learning that preschool PBS can be a very comforting escape from adulting - Daniel Tiger, Pinkilicious, Nature Cat and Peg + Cat are my new best friends

Mom loves Buddy on Dinosaur Train and the Frog on Let's Go Luna (it took me a while to find out that the little fuzzball is a hamster). i think Peg + Cat is so strange, people need noses.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
EViOwkcUUAASuyX.jpeg

I thought that a clear, sunny day from the West Coast may be appreciated.

This is Seattle, with Mt Rainier on the horizon. (Perhaps, this will remind @seedcorn of his recent vacation there and brighten his day.)

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So much stress with the need for change, to better adjust, to adapt.

So much grasping at simple explanations. If there is an effort to seek clarity, one contestant can easily move the goal posts. And, the possible move won't just be to a more distant location, it may be to another part of the field, or higher, or narrower, sideways, upside down ...

No, there was nothing in the huge amount of money federally appropriated for congressional pay raises, read Snopes or Politifact or USA Today. 1/1000 fatalities/cases isn't the same as 1/100 or 1.35/100 or 4/100. Everyone has an agenda - that is the reality of human life.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How many other people will catch the disease from a single infected person? That's the question the epidemiologist has.

Angela Merkel explained, yesterday. She has a PhD in physics.

What would it would mean if Germany edged up to 1 infected person infecting 1.1 people?

“If we get to the point where everybody infects 1.1 people, then by October we will reach the capacity level of our health system, with the assumed level of intensive care beds,” she said.

And if it edges up further still, to 1.2, “everyone is infecting 20% more.”

Angela Merkel explained, "Out of five (infected) people, one infects two and the rest one.” At this rate, Germany’s health care system will reach its limit in July. At 1 person infecting 1.3, the health care system maxes out in June.

“So you see what little leeway we have,” she said.

Steve

Latest posts