digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know where this came from but i LOL at it:

Russian.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put out by a John Hopkins & Harvard trained epidemiologist with the Federation of American Scientists. The lines compare fatality % in different age groups by different researchers

Covid vs the flu.JPG

He also had a little poem:
COVID is red
The flu is blue
Anymore nonsense...
And I will punch you.

:D Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well the good news is that recent restrictions have helped to slow the infection rate down and to start reducing new cases and to take the pressure off the hospitals in some areas where it was getting bad.

for those people who think social distancing, wearing masks and some changes in behavior and a few restrictions can't actually help this has been now proven a false claim because now twice during this pandemic Michigan has knocked this virus back. without the vaccine.

that isn't to say that it can't get bad again, but with the added help of the vaccine perhaps we can even get as far as eradication before more mutations happen. the fewer cases the better, the fewer chances of mutation. i've said that before. people didn't believe me... ah well.

merrY christmaS'

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
California State government reports that the state's ICU capacity is at 1.1%.

Arizona State reports that 92% of ALL hospital beds are filled with record numbers of Covid patients admitted. ASU says that the hospital capacities will be exceeded within the week. AZCentral LINK

Interesting that "Tennessee was the nation's worst hot spot, with the seven-day average rate of 119.7 per 100,000 people as of Saturday, according to the CDC's numbers. By comparison, Arizona's rate was 88 and the national average was 56.7."

And you know, we are only 3 days since Christmas.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
since MI came through TG without a huge spike in cases i'm expecting similar for Christmas. the rate of new infections is coming down and hospital cases are easing off so the health care workers are getting a little more breathing room.

1600 new cases a day over the past few days is much lower than the 8600 cases we were seeing earlier in the month.

we'll see...

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
California State government reports that the state's ICU capacity is at 1.1%.

Arizona State reports that 92% of ALL hospital beds are filled with record numbers of Covid patients admitted. ASU says that the hospital capacities will be exceeded within the week. AZCentral LINK

Interesting that "Tennessee was the nation's worst hot spot, with the seven-day average rate of 119.7 per 100,000 people as of Saturday, according to the CDC's numbers. By comparison, Arizona's rate was 88 and the national average was 56.7."

And you know, we are only 3 days since Christmas.

Steve
That is the Thanksgiving effect. It will be considered a rascist comment these days, but when I was 14 years old, I worked in the family residential construction business. Jimmy Carter and Paul Volker decided to artifically raise interest rates and ended our family business, but I was fortunate to gain some knowledge. We as a family, including my Aunts, built houses on slabs of concrete. My Grandfather would not hire a white man for his concrete work. He told me that cultural pressures required us to press any issue, and if you messed with concrete too soon you would raise the very cement cream meant to hold it all together thus ruining the strength of the slab. This was 1970s. His liking was a fellow that would go sit in the shade of a tree and not be so worried. True Story.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, @Dirtmechanic , it would probably be best for all of us to stay outdoors, sit quietly in the shade, not travel, not gather in large groups ...

I'm only a part European American - if humans can be parted out. My father's father was described as "Indian on both sides," by family who should know (his wife). Cherokee, they seemed to have a philosophy of lead, follow or get the heck out of the way. Of course, with westward expansion of the European American, the advent of the cotton gin, and the resultant spread of upland cotton production, getting the heck out of the way appears to have been the best route for many.

I was recently reading about the Cherokee diaspora. The author of the book began by recounting the immigration of a Cherokee family from the United States to Australia over 100 years ago. Ironic isn't it - Native Americans leaving North America for the "Land Down Under" after being displaced? This seemed to inspire the author to write the book.

As best as I can determine, Grandpa's family got out of the way about 10-15 years before the "Trail of Tears." They first went to eastern Pennsylvania, as did many Native Americans trying to avoid conflict and, somewhat, under the protection of the Quakers. A generation or two later, they were in Shawneetown Illinois, at the very southern end of the state and where some of the generation of Dad's grandparents were born, including my grandfather's aunt. She was described as "full-blooded Indian" by my oldest uncle, whatever that meant. It was just a hop and skip from there before they arrived in the capital of the Choctaws in Oklahoma.

That was Dad's hometown until, as his older brother recounted it, the children were old enough to pick cotton. That work made it possible for them to migrate to the West. Irony, again. My grandfather didn't grow cotton. He grew alfalfa until he was an olde guy, retired, and move to live with one of his sons. And then, he taught me how to play dominoes.

Steve
Never have to worry
About what is worst or what is best

Oh oh Domino (it's all right)
Roll me over, Romeo, there you go
Lord, have mercy
I said oh-oh, Domino
~ Van Morrison

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, @Dirtmechanic , it would probably be best for all of us to stay outdoors, sit quietly in the shade, not travel, not gather in large groups ...

I'm only a part European American - if humans can be parted out. My father's father was described as "Indian on both sides," by family who should know (his wife). Cherokee, they seemed to have a philosophy of lead, follow or get the heck out of the way. Of course, with westward expansion of the European American, the advent of the cotton gin, and the resultant spread of upland cotton production, getting the heck out of the way appears to have been the best route for many.

I was recently reading about the Cherokee diaspora. The author of the book began by recounting the immigration of a Cherokee family from the United States to Australia over 100 years ago. Ironic isn't it - Native Americans leaving North America for the "Land Down Under" after being displaced? This seemed to inspire the author to write the book.

As best as I can determine, Grandpa's family got out of the way about 10-15 years before the "Trail of Tears." They first went to eastern Pennsylvania, as did many Native Americans trying to avoid conflict and, somewhat, under the protection of the Quakers. A generation or two later, they were in Shawneetown Illinois, at the very southern end of the state and where some of the generation of Dad's grandparents were born, including my grandfather's aunt. She was described as "full-blooded Indian" by my oldest uncle, whatever that meant. It was just a hop and skip from there before they arrived in the capital of the Choctaws in Oklahoma.

That was Dad's hometown until, as his older brother recounted it, the children were old enough to pick cotton. That work made it possible for them to migrate to the West. Irony, again. My grandfather didn't grow cotton. He grew alfalfa until he was an olde guy, retired, and move to live with one of his sons. And then, he taught me how to play dominoes.

Steve
Never have to worry
About what is worst or what is best

Oh oh Domino (it's all right)
Roll me over, Romeo, there you go
Lord, have mercy
I said oh-oh, Domino
~ Van Morrison

6 degrees of separation. My mother had a nose job when she was young. She was always a looker, a tall blonde. But in her side of the family there was a certain shape of nose, that being cherokee, with the large prominant curve. It turns out that either prior to the Battle of Horseshoe Bend or after, a forefather took a cherokee wife. Quite possibly after. The family still owns land across from and near Horseshoe Bend. There is still a place they call Hodnett Mountain and that name seems likely to have come after the battle. My nose (and ears) seem likely to have come from the English Channel area, certainly the last name traces to King Rothgar from Denmark. I enjoy telling people with the name Rogers they are missing a D and that they need to be careful, because according the old tale of Beowulf they had a relative that slept with a demon and made babies. It goes over real well down here in the South. Good times!

Last edited: