Discombobulated

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, @Dirtmechanic , it would probably be best for all of us to stay outdoors, sit quietly in the shade, not travel, not gather in large groups ...

I'm only a part European American - if humans can be parted out. My father's father was described as "Indian on both sides," by family who should know (his wife). Cherokee, they seemed to have a philosophy of lead, follow or get the heck out of the way. Of course, with westward expansion of the European American, the advent of the cotton gin, and the resultant spread of upland cotton production, getting the heck out of the way appears to have been the best route for many.

I was recently reading about the Cherokee diaspora. The author of the book began by recounting the immigration of a Cherokee family from the United States to Australia over 100 years ago. Ironic isn't it - Native Americans leaving North America for the "Land Down Under" after being displaced? This seemed to inspire the author to write the book.

As best as I can determine, Grandpa's family got out of the way about 10-15 years before the "Trail of Tears." They first went to eastern Pennsylvania, as did many Native Americans trying to avoid conflict and, somewhat, under the protection of the Quakers. A generation or two later, they were in Shawneetown Illinois, at the very southern end of the state and where some of the generation of Dad's grandparents were born, including my grandfather's aunt. She was described as "full-blooded Indian" by my oldest uncle, whatever that meant. It was just a hop and skip from there before they arrived in the capital of the Choctaws in Oklahoma.

That was Dad's hometown until, as his older brother recounted it, the children were old enough to pick cotton. That work made it possible for them to migrate to the West. Irony, again. My grandfather didn't grow cotton. He grew alfalfa until he was an olde guy, retired, and move to live with one of his sons. And then, he taught me how to play dominoes.

Steve
Never have to worry
About what is worst or what is best

Oh oh Domino (it's all right)
Roll me over, Romeo, there you go
Lord, have mercy
I said oh-oh, Domino
~ Van Morrison
A lot of people that I've spoken to over the years have some Native American ancestry. I may have some as well; my maternal grandfather appeared to be American Indian, but was very evasive about that even with my mother. Another relative claimed to know more about his history & wanted to show me, but passed away before I could see them. My grandfather also took that secret with him when he passed, so short of genetic testing (which I won't do) I'll probably never know. His almost complete lack of facial hair resurfaced in my sons.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For success, focus should be both inward within each nation and community, and outward.

The Jerusalem Post is reporting this morning that 20% of all Israelis over 60 years of age have been vaccinated. link

Vaccination of the general public began on 21 December.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman , the family migrated to southern Illinois just prior to the Civil War. Immediately after, they were in Arkansas, just across the border and then on to Oklahoma.

My grandfather was born in Arkansas and for me trying to understand what was happening during this time is really difficult because of the absolute turmoil that was going on. My grandfather's parents were young teenagers at the end of the war. They both died soon after my grandfather and his brother were born. They were raised by their great aunt.

It was not just chaotic with this family or folks like them. It seems that it was a terrible situation in many of these border areas during and after the war.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was Dad's hometown until, as his older brother recounted it, the children were old enough to pick cotton. That work made it possible for them to migrate to the West. Irony, again. My grandfather didn't grow cotton. He grew alfalfa until he was an olde guy, retired, and move to live with one of his sons. And then, he taught me how to play dominoes.

Mom has not ever known her Mother so we do not have any way to tell aside from genetic testing what is going on there, but she claims we are part native. i think this is some wish on her part and may have no basis in facts. Mom had the option of getting to know her mother when she was contacted, but refused it and didn't want to get into that nor did she care. we talked about this the other day at Christmas dinner and she restated that she didn't care and didn't want to know anything. so that part of our heritage is lost unless we dig futher after she's gone. i'm not sure anyone will. we do have a pretty good family tree done for both sides otherwise, some going back to the mid 1500s.

my great grandfather passed away when i was 2yrs old, i would have considered him my grandfather had i grown up far enough to know him. he taught me how to stack dominoes in chains then to knock them down and i would do that for many hours my whole childhood not knowing that he was the one who did this with me as i have no memory of his person or face at all. just that the scent of cigars is also fond to me (just a faint whiff not full strength) and pipes.

my actual grandfather i only met a few times in my life and i had no idea he was my Mom's father until long after he died.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ah, the missing keyword. yes, you can assume that was what they meant... :)

today's count of new cases was back up so the lag in test results and such over the weekend is probably now caught up.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Zeedman , the family migrated to southern Illinois just prior to the Civil War. Immediately after, they were in Arkansas, just across the border and then on to Oklahoma.

My grandfather was born in Arkansas and for me trying to understand what was happening during this time is really difficult because of the absolute turmoil that was going on. My grandfather's parents were young teenagers at the end of the war. They both died soon after my grandfather and his brother were born. They were raised by their great aunt.

It was not just chaotic with this family or folks like them. It seems that it was a terrible situation in many of these border areas during and after the war.

Steve
We have evidence of some of our oldest meeting in Chicago during the civil war, where one was a union guard and the other a confederate pow.

Latest posts