Discombobulated

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well from such a mess perhaps it can only get better? anyways MI is getting doses out to places, but not sure how many have actually made to to older people. the records and reports may take some time to come back in. all i can say is keep at it people and my heart goes out to each and every one of them who is doing this and at risk and feeling vulnerable.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
The huge place where Mother is (which is owned by The Manor, here in Medford up on that hill next to I5, @digitS' ) already had their assisted living folks vac. But the independent ones won't get theirs until Feb.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The huge place where Mother is (which is owned by The Manor, here in Medford up on that hill next to I5, @digitS' ) already had their assisted living folks vac. But the independent ones won't get theirs until Feb.
News coming from Florida is that the rich are getting their's first, after the nursing homes and healthcare workers. Of those that I know that live there that seems to be the case. Not scientific of course.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
At one time, I thought hospitalization numbers were a good indication of the effect of the pandemic.

Regardless of the public uncertainties, the doctors were saying that these people are very sick and need to be in the hospital, maybe even the ICU.

Recently, I realized that the hospital administrations themselves were determining who was admitted. They had both space and staffing limits. The public is really not able to know how those limits play into admissions and discharges as capacity numbers were reached most everywhere in the US.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
At one time, I thought hospitalization numbers were a good indication of the effect of the pandemic.

Regardless of the public uncertainties, the doctors were saying that these people are very sick and need to be in the hospital, maybe even the ICU.

Recently, I realized that the hospital administrations themselves were determining who was admitted. They had both space and staffing limits. The public is really not able to know how those limits play into admissions and discharges as capacity numbers were reached most everywhere in the US.

Steve

from what i have seen in MI the hospitals have publicly said when their capacity was being challenged and in reaction to this the state govenor and health officials did put more restrictions in place so that they would not be as overrun as what has happened in other states. this was not a happy making experience for many business people who derived most of their income from crowds and traffic so the pushback has been nearly constant (including death threats and a kidnapping conspiracy). the statistics and dates of various restrictions are available to the public, openly, so they can see what has happened.

the obvious problem that many casual observers have of the situation is that they don't know how hospitals are run, staffed and what it takes to run an ICU with the kind of infection that this virus presents.

that you can have an infection which requires weeks of ICU or hospital care is just not something that people get about this. covid plugs up your lungs and has so many potential complications that it's just not an easy thing to deal with and then all the risks of being in a hospital and having other sick people around and surgeries being required and ...

i'm actually quite amazed that it has held together as well as it has so far. folks who deal with this every day deserve a huge thanks and appreciation but as of yet i see a lot of suspicion and negativity. which is sad. well, beyond sad to me.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
State law has some control over hospital admission standards. Those were loosened.

I doubt if they were very specific beyond geography. In other words, if there was somewhere for someone to go with certain conditions, not every hospital was required to admit that patient. (Why do I imagine that insurance plays a role?)

We are likely to also be seeing resignation (despair). Some people may have painted themselves into corners because of their politics. A British newspaper has an editorial cartoon today. I won't provide a link -- it's too sad. The final excuses, etched on tombstones ...

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I get it. But importantly, my growing collection of blankets allows me to now have a full 4 inches thick worth of blankets over my neuropathically frozen feet. On the positive side of things, when i went to walmart to get some kerr jars for my beans, i noted how 1 very intelligent person parked their new f150 pickup not only perfectly straddling the line separating spaces left and right, but also exactly over the line separating rows. I said, actually out loud while linda ronstadt was singing, "dayyyaam! That's some perfect parking the line straddle method!". So i parked right next to it. Yep, my picture pretty 2011 satin pearl outback next to this 12 cylinder pickup that has an elevator to get into it because its so lifted. But its the new style of parking that entitles not only the bazillionaires, but also the retiredonaires. So , our 2 vehicles took 8 spaces. Now, that pickup could easily park in 1 space, or, if it was driven by a mentally challenged conspiracy theorist, maybe 2 spaces. But 4 spaces??? Hoky smokes bullwinkle, head to the hills above Frostbite Falls. Ruffle up ma sleeves...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
State law has some control over hospital admission standards. Those were loosened.

by restrictions i didn't mean hospital admissions, but meant the overall restrictions on society that were put in place for a while so people would not be gathering and infecting each other. so the net result was some more complaining by those losing business (who have a chance to be compensated from the state BTW) and then eventually a large reduction in new infections which did take the pressure off the hospitals.

to me this is good government as that it was based upon actual observations reflected by studies of who was infecting each other and how. other businesses have remained open with of course restrictions on some things like how many people you can have in the place at a single time.

come Feb 1st indoor dining will reopen at 25% capacity and some other things will change but mostly by then perhaps we'll be back to a few hundred new infections per day instead of a few thousand.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
good news, a friend made it out of the hospital over the past few days and another friend's parents are holding their own. she was really worried about them because of their general health. all three of these people would have likely perished had they gotten sick last spring. *whew*

[i have to change and add to this, one of her parents they are now talking of palliative care as he's just in such bad shape they don't think that he'd want to live, end of life issues with the rest of the family are not going to be easy (step-mom dealing with his children) and step-mom being ill too] :(

Last edited:

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
N
I get it. But importantly, my growing collection of blankets allows me to now have a full 4 inches thick worth of blankets over my neuropathically frozen feet. On the positive side of things, when i went to walmart to get some kerr jars for my beans, i noted how 1 very intelligent person parked their new f150 pickup not only perfectly straddling the line separating spaces left and right, but also exactly over the line separating rows. I said, actually out loud while linda ronstadt was singing, "dayyyaam! That's some perfect parking the line straddle method!". So i parked right next to it. Yep, my picture pretty 2011 satin pearl outback next to this 12 cylinder pickup that has an elevator to get into it because its so lifted. But its the new style of parking that entitles not only the bazillionaires, but also the retiredonaires. So , our 2 vehicles took 8 spaces. Now, that pickup could easily park in 1 space, or, if it was driven by a mentally challenged conspiracy theorist, maybe 2 spaces. But 4 spaces??? Hoky smokes bullwinkle, head to the hills above Frostbite Falls. Ruffle up ma sleeves...
No picture?

Latest posts