Discombobulated

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got my first shot last week, the Moderna version. I am old enough to qualify, it was pure age. My arm was a little sore for a couple of days but no worse than the pneumonia or flu shots. No side effects.
My doctor had no reaction to the first. He got quite miserable from the second. He said his mistake was going in to work. The staff made him go home.His advice is to rest after the second dose.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something bad, Something good ;). I'll start with the bad, then we can look past ...

Screenshot_20210128-090647_kindlephoto-160597408.png

It would help if the CDC would require quicker information but, then again, they didn't finalize mortality (from all causes) until 2019 for deaths in 2017. So, giving them a few weeks for even estimates is necessary, I guess.

Maybe Canada is quicker (& we will get back to @flowerbug drifting off for newz to the BBC and neighbors to the north, later ;)). Here's some good news from Newfoundland and Labrador. Hey, we are getting some chatter that this is happening elsewhere!

Flu infections are DOWN in a big way this winter. In that province, down to zero - so far!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've talked so much in different forums about this sort of thing that i can't always remember what i've said where. i was sure recently there was a comment about the flu not being reported at all this year in the news, but that wasn't true from the news i've been seeing, but the big thing that was being noted was that flu cases are down by a large number. which is not a big surprise to me since it is also transmitted in a similar manner to the SARS-COV2 virus (except the covid virus is much easier to transmit) so the same things that people are doing to keep the covid virus from spreading are also doing a good job on keeping the flu virus from getting around.

it will be interesting if they ever come out with numbers to adjust for that too which would mean the overall numbers for covid deaths are higher. :(

still a lot more new covid cases being reported than i'd like to see before the state starts opening up schools and restaurants and bars again, but we'll see how it goes - Feb 1st. at least within the next month most of the older and vulnerable people will get their 2nd shots. or at least those that want them.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk

blah, blah, blah ... masks don't help ... blah, blah, ... social distancing doesn't help ... blah, blah, blah

Well, they are really helping against the flu :hu .

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let's imagine a person with obsessive compulsive disorder having to do with germs ...
I wasn't really trying to find some balance .⚖️ to this post but I suppose that is where I ended up. I was on a little quest for some word origins. You know, trying not to go all the way back to Proto-this-or-that but being willing to take a little dip into the Greek if need be ;).

Hygiene. It wasn't where I started. I was curious about the name Hugo. "Mind?" Really? Some mom and dad would name their baby "Mind?"

Well, it means a little more than that. Kind of a "high minded" idea. Mindful. Hmmm. Going back to the Greek, the word would have to do with a skill. Being thoughtful. Something that had to be learned and requires mindfulness.

Ah yes, hygiene.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
as children we play with poop and other things until we learn not to, then we become gardeners and it is then allowed to be played with again. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hal Holbrook as Deep Throat: You've done worse than let Haldeman slip away: you've got people feeling sorry for him. I didn't think that was possible ...It was a Haldeman operation. The whole business was run by Haldeman, the money, everything. It won't be easy getting at him, he was insulated, you'll have to find out how. Mitchell started doing covert stuff before anyone else, the list is longer than anyone can imagine...

Hal Holbrook has died, age 95.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm flat out amazed at how old he was; same with Cicely Tyson; and more. I guess my brain doesn't register that they too, get older.

SO watches lunch TV - Gunsmoke. We comment that everyone on there is gone, but what about that young boy? Would he be about 55+ now?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Rhodie Ranch ,

I'm trying to remember any young people on Gunsmoke. The Rifleman?

I remember the Gunsmoke radio program. It was something of a shock to learn several years into the TV show that the characters were not played by the same actors.

Steve

Latest posts