Discombobulated

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a person who has been a rheumatoid arthritis patient, the advice of a patient organized society in the UK dedicated to providing information on the problems associated with the illness makes some sense. They wouldn't be at risk of losing their MD licenses if that is a concern. "All patients with RA are encouraged to receive a COVID-19 vaccine." LINK

Becoming ill with a COVID-19 infection brings with it the chance of an autoimmune response that may amount to serious health problems. The professor of immunology and rheumatology at Stanford Medicine and leader of a study on this says that "The finding bolsters the argument for vaccination." LINK

Of course, patients differ. Their illnesses differ and they should be consulting the physicians qualified to provide treatment and advice on vaccines.

Steve
who has no been "out from under the care" of a rheumatologist for 2 decades because of improvements to symptoms :)

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Of course, patients differ. Their illnesses differ and they should be consulting the physicians qualified to provide treatment and advice on vaccines.
Unfortunately where I live, doctors are at risk of losing their hospital and/or medical center affiliation, as well as their license, if they do not adhere to the approved protocol. I have a family member that ran into this -- this person is at high risk of adverse reaction to the shot (or death) and their doctor did not feel safe enough to write a legitimate exemption. (eta: the approved protocol at the time was that the only allowed exemption was for someone that had an adverse reaction to the first shot)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
interesting to hear about a study which claims that Omicron likely came about from jumping to mice and then back to people. we'll see if this holds up, but still interesting.

if you haven't been already you'll likely be visited by Omicron soon enough as it is. i hope for everyone's sake that the illness skips you completely and you don't even notice it. i suspect we've already been visited here, but not sure. either way i'm ready as i can be (vaccinated).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look to the hospitals for the admissions of patients by the decisions of the medical professionals, the turning away of patients as hospital capacities are reached, and, not least, the burden on healthcare workers. (a tripling of absences in London)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look to the hospitals for the admissions of patients by the decisions of the medical professionals, the turning away of patients as hospital capacities are reached, and, not least, the burden on healthcare workers. (a tripling of absences in London)

yes, this round is hitting all at once, sharp upslope of infections. even if only a few get really sick it's still going to be a strain. for MI it comes right on the heels of Delta which was causing an increase again - then it faded a bit this past week but i think now it's going back up. some room yet, but everyone is pretty burnt out and a lot of people sick. they've had to shut some emergency room services down at times due to lack of staff.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reports of zoo animals with covid and deer out in the wild with covid. I am not sure I posted here about parvo, but I used to raise dogs and in the 1970s parvo showed up and people were losing puppies. It cost thousands of dollars at first. They had to be hooked to IVs and stay at the vet and farm after farm had it and some just died fast. It did not seem to get the older dogs as bad and after these puppies grew up some had heart damage. They would be running and just drop dead, so the virus attacked their hearts, I guess.

I asked the vet where did parvo come from and he said it escaped out of a lab back east and killed all the dogs they were using in the lab for experiments. So parvo could come to your farm even though you lived far from town. Can people who isolate at home away from other people catch the flu or a cold with no exposure to other people? I don't know, but I have never seen so many sick people with everything, colds, flu, covid, hand, foot and mouth, RSV, pneumonia.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Reports of zoo animals with covid and deer out in the wild with covid. I am not sure I posted here about parvo, but I used to raise dogs and in the 1970s parvo showed up and people were losing puppies. It cost thousands of dollars at first. They had to be hooked to IVs and stay at the vet and farm after farm had it and some just died fast. It did not seem to get the older dogs as bad and after these puppies grew up some had heart damage. They would be running and just drop dead, so the virus attacked their hearts, I guess.

I asked the vet where did parvo come from and he said it escaped out of a lab back east and killed all the dogs they were using in the lab for experiments. So parvo could come to your farm even though you lived far from town. Can people who isolate at home away from other people catch the flu or a cold with no exposure to other people? I don't know, but I have never seen so many sick people with everything, colds, flu, covid, hand, foot and mouth, RSV, pneumonia.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm guessing a lot of our infections/viruses are escaping from labs.
We cannot explain a century or more ago but it would make a lot of sense too me if it's been happening since the fifties, with all the experiments too find cures

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Traveling or going anywhere is risky right now. DS just contacted me, he & his wife won a vacation to Mexico (from one of their jobs). They were supposed to return today, but DS tested positive (twice) and will be forced to quarantine in Mexico. His wife tested negative & will be allowed to return unaccompanied. :( They both just had Delta a few months ago.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Traveling or going anywhere is risky right now. DS just contacted me, he & his wife won a vacation to Mexico (from one of their jobs). They were supposed to return today, but DS tested positive (twice) and will be forced to quarantine in Mexico. His wife tested negative & will be allowed to return unaccompanied. :( They both just had Delta a few months ago.
I hope your son is not very sick. I was hoping people who got Delta would not get the new strain at least not this fast. My friend in Kansas told me her daughter, husband and 5 kids all have covid, but not sure which one. Her 2 youngest were barely sick and now well, but they had to test to go back to school. The boy tested positive and can go back to school Monday. The sister tested negative and she cannot go back to school for 10 days. I would sure like to sit next to somebody who tested positive a few days ago, NOT! I can see where the girl has to stay home because she has been exposed. :hu