Diy Trash to Treasure redo thread

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still haven't finished with this, needs sanding and painting and other tweaks, but my outside sink/processing station made from an old metal youth bed from Good Will ($10), a sink from the Habitat store($4), and reclaimed lumber and free "stickers" from Lowe's.

View attachment 22496

i wouldn't paint or stain it for the type of use it will get, those are very hard surfaces to keep clean and looking nice. keep it simple, the sun will bleach it for you. :)

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
two-russian-drunks.jpg

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, here is my entry to the Rehab Restore upcycle contest...followed by other very worthy entries~some people got skills!

This was a lime spreader and a broken rocking chair that they were going to throw away, but instead put $5 on...it was missing the arms and had pieces broken.

file.php

Did a crackle paint on it with the use of Elmer's glue..first time I'd ever tried that, but it came out alright. Painted chalk board paint across the top back so one could write a message there.

We had to resize the front legs to make it into a straight chair instead of a rocker, then reinforce it with a cradle for the planter bucket.

Also hinged the seat so the planter bucket, when empty of flowers, can be used for underseat storage for garden tools, gloves, etc. or even to hold seasonal things like scented pine cones, lights, etc.

We have very crude tools, so couldn't do precision work like some did, but I like how it looks all the same.

100_0995.JPG
100_0997.JPG
100_0983.JPG

Above is an antique drawer pull I had around which I used to latch my seat upwards and it also made a great chalk holder for the chalkboard portion of the chair.

There were 12 entries in all but I'll just show you the better ones....

100_0967.JPG

This guys bought an old gate leg table and put a new top on it, built benches and also the lazy susan. I think he'll win. He has his own lumber mill and wood shop...his wife also has an entry in the contest that is stiff competition as well.

This is hers....
100_0977.JPG

This used to be a gun rack and a bedside stand, plus a chair. She did a wonderful transformation.

100_0968.JPG

This was a five panel door, turned into a storage bench.

100_0975.JPG

This old cupboard had broken doors, so they removed them and made shelving and drawers for it. I love the colors they chose for this!

There were other entries in the contest but none of them touch these four above, nor did they really transform their items much...mostly just new paint jobs.

The white tubes are for voting on the People's Choice award, where you can put money in the one you like best. So far five of them have money in them....one of them mine!

Judging will be on the 8th and the auction is on the 18th.

This was a nerve wracking project for me as I waited until the last week to do it and took it in with the paint still wet!

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
It turned out great. I love that the seat can be used for storage when the plants are gone. Stiff competition is right! Good Luck.