Do You Battle a Invasive Plant ? NY Ban Sale of Certain Plants

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A hoe, a pair of gardening gloves, and a big bottle of cheap vinegar to spray on them.

Well, it would be impossible to spray a hoe and gardening gloves at them. :D You know.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have bull nettles, honeysuckle, vetch, and some weed that gets head high. Oh and lost of poison ivy too. Green briars grow like grass, tangles of them every where.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have Canadian thistle... Hawk weed and few others... Anyone have any thistle banishing tips?
As a kid we would sometimes help STICK thistles. Walk the fields and stick them with a spade and pop them out. Hard sweaty day.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, vetch is kinda pretty Bay....makes good fodder.
But, I realize we're talking about Texas vetch. Probably eats dogs and small children. :rolleyes:
This appears to be hairy vetch, the endophytes on it cause mares to abort. Don't plan on any more foals, need to research effects on pregnant ewes. Have not observed any vetch with sharp teeth, but growing season has just begun. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a kid we would sometimes help STICK thistles. Walk the fields and stick them with a spade and pop them out. Hard sweaty day.

One of my summer chores on the farm was walking the pasture fields with a mattock, digging out any Canadian thistle I found and I found a lot. One neighbors did not try to control his thistle and the west wind blew those seeds right to our pasture. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed walking those ridges in August in the full sun carrying a mattock with temperatures above 90 and no breeze whatsoever. Pure joy.

Latest posts