Done planting!!! How is your garden growing???

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Weather sounds rough your way!!! do you use old milk carton tops to protect your plants?? like little individual green houses!!
I hate when people ask me for stuff and then they don't take care of it and it is like your time isn't valuable. You are a good person for sharing. !!! here is wishing you warmer weather!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks!

The1honeycomb, using a product called "hot caps" once seemed kind of standard. They are still out there but they must have been mostly replaced by plastic containers. I am fairly sure hot caps were made of paper, 50 years ago.

No, I've got plenty of buckets and the plants aren't ridiculously tall this year. A few years ago, placing a small bucket over a large plant was a mistake I don't want to make again. That time, it froze hard enuf that whatever touched the bucket, blackened. Some plants died.

I also grabbed big pots that time and then realized that they, of course, have holes in them. Killed those plants too but I was too far from home to do much about the mistake.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Thanks!

The1honeycomb, using a product called "hot caps" once seemed kind of standard. They are still out there but they must have been mostly replaced by plastic containers. I am fairly sure hot caps were made of paper, 50 years ago.

No, I've got plenty of buckets and the plants aren't ridiculously tall this year. A few years ago, placing a small bucket over a large plant was a mistake I don't want to make again. That time, it froze hard enuf that whatever touched the bucket, blackened. Some plants died.
I also grabbed big pots that time and then realized that they, of course, have holes in them. Killed those plants too but I was too far from home to do much about the mistake.

Steve
OH MY! I guess I have to go back outside and fix some things. :th

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve sounds like a great lesson thanks for sharing. I don't have such cold weather I put my tomato cages in when I plant them. If I have to cover big stuff that helps!!!

Made fresh Orange Marmelade this am Yum!!!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
8763_383420_10201199387566170_1308349318_n1.jpg

Well I harvested one of my potato bags and i am very happy with the result. I dumped one of the bags into a large wooden box that stays in the garden, keep trimmings and compost in there, the plants that i pulled out of the bag were " replanted" in the box and if they grow more I will be happy to harvest them again!! They did grow lst year so I am looking forward to another harvest!! Not the Biggest harvest but for the effort I am Happy

:throw

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The1honeycomb, you have different varieties .

. . of potatoes in one bag and after harvest keep the plants alive for another harvest??!

Steve

:th

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just finished planting the garden. It took two and a half days, but it's in.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the 1 honeycomb; after you pull your potato plants up & harvest, you re-plant? that sure is a pretty harvest. I'm not supposed to eat potatoes, but they look so good

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes I am very careful with the plants when I harvest try to get all the potatoes bigger than a quarter out, and replant. It is fun usually the plants take a few days to revive and then they are off again!! I will post photos of the harvest then. I still have 10 bags to harvest and just planted 3 more yesterday so I will have plenty of spuds!!!:tools

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am just amazed that you have come up with this, The1honeycomb!

Potatoes are fairly interesting things in that we are planting clones. But, you are treating these as kind of perennials - like fruit trees, or sumthin'!!

They would age and likely have problems but I can almost imagine you taking the very same plants back to the basement this fall and bringing them out again in the spring! Then harvesting from them again! It is Wild!

Steve
:bouquet very impressed with The1honeycomb's cleverness!

Latest posts