Done planting!!! How is your garden growing???

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
EXCELLENT!!! :ya I am glad that I don't have to move them! they seem happy where they are and I have them growing up the fence already!! :woot

the only volunteers that I have are the cucumbers in the back yard by the compost. My gardens are to new for that!

Question? 1: If the onion goes to bloom is the onion still good to eat? :bouquet
2: Will onions start in the summer or are they a cold weather crop?? :smack
3: If you eat cantaloupe of the vine will the juice stain your shirt?? :happy_flower

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
1: If the onion goes to bloom is the onion still good to eat?

Yes, however you should break the stalk off and allow the plant to develop some bulb. It will have that drying and dying tissue from the flower stalk right down thru the bulb. That means it won't last long after harvest.

2: Will onions start in the summer or are they a cold weather crop??

I don't know about sowing seed late for bunching onions. However, bulbing is a reaction to day length. Starting the seed should be done with the idea that you can get maximum bulb size with the changing days during the growing season.

3: If you eat cantaloupe of the vine will the juice stain your shirt??

Maybe. I have related this story before: When Mom took over the gardening from a too busy Dad, she only planted cantaloupes. That was fine by me. When they began to ripen, I'd take one off the vine and carry it over to the blackberry and weed patch on the other side of the irrigation ditch behind the barn. My belt buckle had sharp edges and I could not only cut the melon open, I could use the buckle like a spoon to eat it.

There by the rushing irrigation water, I could eat the melon in peace, entertained by the quail calls. I was always a mess so I can't say if the melon made things worse. I'm sure Mom knew I was snitching melons out of the garden but I bet it was okay with her.

Steve :p

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
1: yes still good to eat. same answer like Steve says.
2: I planted mine year round. I still have onions in the coldest weather, but start seeds or bulbs during fall
3: Yes they will stain your shirts, wear bibs :lol:

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yum I need to find a belt that acts as a spoon, and a knife!!!:clap may be swiss army puts one out!!! I love cantaloupe!!!
as for my shirt, I will definitely use bleach.. I guess i need to find some onion sets soon!! and get them planted everyone knows that I have plenty of containers!!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Planted 15 new asparagus plant little tiny starts! so in 3 years I will have a good amount for freezing!!

Harvested a quart of strawberries, made strawberry pie!! yum
Hard to find onions a little late in the season!

:idunno will keep looking!!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
well the hail storm knocked down my corn, but I went out in the rain and staked it up I have several ears working!!! hope to harvest in about 20 days! harvested all the potatoes from my bags and replanted they are already started and I will have lots of blue red and yukon gold potatoes for the summer! My peach tree looks like it has stalled most of the fruit looks a bout the same size as 2 weeks ago!!! I have acorn squash that will be ready in a few days and 3 volunteer tomatoes a new mole hole and sweet potatoes and zucchini coming out my ears!!!

How is your garden growing??:thumbsup:watering

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
desertlady said:
winds finally slowed down and my garden is perking up! No sign of rain:(
Glad to hear it! hope you get some rain and have good mulch down I use wood shavings, easy to apply and very inexpensive get some pics if you can would love to see your garden!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still struggeling to tame the tomatoes-gone-wild!! What was I thinking? Next year I'll be caging those tiny little seedlings! Did some tomato pruning and tieing up - and found a pepper plant! I had forgotten the little guy was there! LOL Also pulled up one of my spaghetti squash plants. It was getting yellow and although it had made lots of blooms, no squashes. The other 3 that share the 'hill' are doing great!

Latest posts