Done planting!!! How is your garden growing???

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Crappy spring. My Spinach took FOREVER to come up and now that they are harvest sized, several are bolting. =/
The lettuce, too, took forever. Some of my radishes, the French breakfast are marvelous, but others wouldn't bulb and went woody on me when they finally did. I'll leave them in the beds to go to seed and take up space that a weed might want, but they've been a disappointment, too.
JUST about to transplant my tomatoes into their beds, as well as sweet peppers. If it stays warm they should do okay.
We have had about 8 inches of rain in the last week, but the temperatures have been swinging from hot to cold to hot to cold, and my plants DON'T like it!!! :rant

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I am just amazed that you have come up with this, The1honeycomb!

Potatoes are fairly interesting things in that we are planting clones. But, you are treating these as kind of perennials - like fruit trees, or sumthin'!!

They would age and likely have problems but I can almost imagine you taking the very same plants back to the basement this fall and bringing them out again in the spring! Then harvesting from them again! It is Wild!

Steve
:bouquet very impressed with The1honeycomb's cleverness!
Steve I don't know if I would go that far! I know my husband won't be carrying them out for a walk in the winter!!! :plbb

I do prune them like other veggies and I am having success with the transplants! but in the fall when I do my final harvest I will be feeding the plants to the chickens!!

:watering

I have a massive amount of chicken manure that I am going to cover today and then use to cover my beds for the winter!! I will have many pictures to come up.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
8763_potato.jpg

Please remember that these were just transplanted yesterday! They seem to be coming back nicely!!

:happy_flower

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am impressed! Replanting your potato vines! Mine bite the dust, they turn yellow and keel over. Done. Then I dig them up. Mine are dying now and I want to dig them up so bad, but I am waiting for the weekend when we get our 5, soon to be 6 year old grand daughter. She LOVES to get dirty with Mamaw in the garden, especially digging potatoes.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
oh baymule, you are so fortunate to have a grandchild. that will be fun digging potatoes with her.

the1honeycomb, do you collect straight chicken manure or is it mixed with litter/shavings? mine is mixed. I wish I had a good amount of grass clippings to add to it. I think I would have a real cooking going on in my compost. I want some straight manure though. i'm thinking I want rabbits. primarily for their manure.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe The1honeycomb harvests her potatoes at the "new" stage.

Don't allow the vines to grow old. Arrest their Senescence . . . could that be a TV series?? Set them back on the path to continued growth. Kick 'em off that rocking chair and out from under that shawl!

They are only as old as they think they are.

Steve ;)

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
BAymule I too am jealous that you have a grandchild! you would think with 5 kids one of them would have had a child!!:hu
Steve I beleive you are right!!! bu I do harvest them after they have started to brown. :thumbsup
BJ I always have mixed with straw, hay and wood chips..!! :mow
I know that rabbit pellets are good to use straight out of the bunny!! :bun I have also thought about getting a rabbit will have to wait till the new coop is finished!

Have anyone heard that you shouldn't put cucumbers and cantaloupe in the same area?? If that is true then how far apart do they need to be??
mine are in containers so I can move them Just wondering

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My bush beans finally came up. Don't know what the deal was, it only took them like 10 days to do it!

Honeycomb, some people believe cukes and 'lopes will cross pollinate and the cukes will be bitter. My neighbor believes this. It's not true.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was watching to see the reply about cukes & cantalopes. I have squash and cucumbers close together. i'm hoping no problem. if there is, I guess I will pick a crop & sacrifice the other. I didn't intend to plant them together, one group came up as volunteer.

Latest posts