Ducks Losses - Coyote

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
My company sells the solar night eyes that are supposed to look like the reflection of another predator in the area. I'm thinking of trying those?
I'd try them. Better than just wishing they would go away! ;)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Just had to report--I had a chicken loss this week. My 1 1/2 yr. old rooster, "Gregory Peck" died yesterday morning. He was easily over 8 lbs, and I think it had to have been from the extreme heat--No marks on him. Before the rain, it was low 90's with 73% humidity. I'm really surprised I haven't lost more birds. They've been drinking a lot, but no problem with my layers and their now, only one, rooster bc I have a horse rubber feeding bowl in their enclosure, and it holds 10 gallons of water, and I've kept it full. Still, I feel badly.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes chickens just keel over.
ducks4you said:
Just had to report--I had a chicken loss this week. My 1 1/2 yr. old rooster, "Gregory Peck" died yesterday morning. He was easily over 8 lbs, and I think it had to have been from the extreme heat--No marks on him. Before the rain, it was low 90's with 73% humidity. I'm really surprised I haven't lost more birds. They've been drinking a lot, but no problem with my layers and their now, only one, rooster bc I have a horse rubber feeding bowl in their enclosure, and it holds 10 gallons of water, and I've kept it full. Still, I feel badly.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm so sorry Ducks! :hugs

I don't remember if I mentioned it here or not, but while I was going through this whole fiasco with Lily, I had just gotten a new GORGEOUS white silkie rooster named prince a few weeks before. I moved him over into our silkie pen when I put Lily in the quarentine pen. To add to the frustrations, those MEAN silkie ladies cornered him in the coop and kept him from being able to get outside the coop into the pen where the water was hung. It was in the upper 90's during that week. It took me days to realize he wasn't coming out, and he was over heated needing water badly. Trying to juggle both birds was overwhelming but I tried. Within hours of getting water into him in yet another pen.... he passed away.

The moral is... we all go above and beyond, but sometimes, there is nothing you can do because you've already done your best. :weight So don't beat yourself up trying to figure it out. You did good!

Latest posts