Duck's New Ragtag garden, Version 2020

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday and today I moved the last of the limbs out from the tree that was cut down in the South Pasture, October, 2018. I mowed around my firepit in the inner sanctum and dragged in about 4 of the smallest ones to burn there. I have a signing mid morning tomorrow, BUT, DH will take the tractor, carry the rest out to the North pasture burn pile, and drag the bottom of the trunk out there, too. I should be able to raise the crown on the pine trees around there high enough to drive underneath and then we Hope to bush hog the 2nd year burdock there and the middle of the South Pasture. We mowed enough in the North Pasture to have pretty much eradicated it there. One Good thing about the burdock is that it isn't irritating to walk through it, at this stage.
I do this "front yard where the neighbors can see it" mowing this evening, with the push mower and riding mower. It looks manicured and protects our phone/internet box from the tractor.
I poisoned underneath the pine tree there and in the bed in the front of the house.
If DH stays home Monday we plan to burn the burn pile in the North Pasture. I can add to it throughout the summer for my party ... PROtest, and the witch burning, AZZZZ is tradition.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I could not find sweet potato slips A N Y W H E R E locally. Finally, went online and pretty much the ONLY slips available were Molokai Sweet potatoes, so...I'm game. They should arrive Thursday, and I will have my spot ready by then.
I am Definitely starting my Own slips for 2021!
I Swear, gardening centers have been cleaning up! Rural King had all of their plants except Bonnie plants on 80% off. I bought 2 holly bushes, $2.47/each, yes, I know the math doesn't work right, but the clerk checked it twice and I wasn't gonna argue that a $19.00 plant was going that cheap.
I need a hedge so I won't see my stupid neighbor's 12 ft long dumpster, been there for Years now, along with the broken windows that somehow don't get thrown into it. I bought two China girls, and I will look for a China Boy later. Don't really care if they get berries or not. The tag says, 7-10 ft tall, 5ft wide and that's ALL I need to know. Now, to study up on their care. Meanwhile, I am transplanting them to a bigger pot this week and nurse them along as I prep the area.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Forgot to post--DD's had black bananas, so I found this great recipe and made a banana bread SO GOOD that DH even liked it.
Banana Bread recipe
Ingredients
• 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
• 3/4 cup (150g) packed light or dark brown sugar
• 2 large eggs, at room temperature
• 1/3 cup (80g) plain yogurt or sour cream (I use Greek yogurt)
• 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 large ripe bananas)
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• optional: 3/4 cup (100g) chopped pecans or walnuts
3. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar together on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. On medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the yogurt, mashed bananas, and vanilla extract on medium speed until combined. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no flour pockets remain. Do not overmix. Fold in the nuts, if using.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 60-65 minutes. Loosely cover the bread with aluminum foil after 30 minutes to help prevent the top and sides from getting too brown. A toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf will come out clean when the bread is done. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack.
5. Cover and store banana bread at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Banana bread tastes best on day 2 after the flavors have settled together. See post above for freezing instructions.

Attachments

• Banana bread.jpg
    Banana bread.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 288

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tractor work yesterday. Mowing, of Course, and we went out to drag the 6 ft long, 2 1/2 ft diameter trunk out of the South Pasture where it has been drying for 18 months. It split in two. There were 2 limbs that had wound around each other. Easy peasy lemon squeezy with the tractor and chains!!! :love
All are now out in the NORTH pasture burn pile. Should be a good burn sometime soon.
Last week I had to drag out the other limbs. Didn't want to take the time to saw them into smaller pieces so DH carried them with the shovel. He had to raise to high to get past 2 gates, but they were so lightweight that there was no issue with tipping. Now, I need to raise the crown on about 12 pine trees so that we can bush hog close to them, with 2nd year burdock promising to flower. Hope to bush hog this week, and then keep up with it this summer. I promise to take my phone out to share.
Tents are almost all down, folded and stored with their stakes. DD's left me to fold up the flys today, but that's only bc I need to mow the south yard.
My Mr. Lincoln rose has bloomed once and has another bud. My Tropicana rose isn't as vigorous. Buying these roses at a box store is always a roll of the dice.

Latest posts