Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since you want to pull with it, is it solid transmission or belt? No matter what size of an engine, the belt driven will be your limiting factor.
Your old Deere might be heavy because it is actually a garden tractor not a belt driven lawn mower.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Dunno. Let's check:
My new mower will cost ~$3,600.00, compared with most of the box stores brands at $1,500-$2500
I think I am buying a good machine, but I am happy to hear your thoughts.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not suggesting that this is not a good machine. Only thing when you mentioned using to pull with (& weight differences) was your limiting factors and possibly why. Belts are cheaper than transmissions and can be replaced.
If you hooked up a 12 HP transmission tractor to a 40 HP lawn mower, I’d bet on the 12HP pulling the 40 wherever it wanted while belts are burning. Size of motor means little as strength is in belt. 20HP vs 40 HP will be a draw if both belt driven are equal.
For most belt driven is fine. But for real work need a transmission.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you believe that I will be towing a great deal of weight. I only tow a couple hundred pounds in my tow wagon, maximum, and the cheapo used TORO riding mower that I had at one time could handle that. Usually I pull less that than in my tow wagon, mostly stuff that I don't want to push in a wheelbarrow, like last week, when I picked up sticks in the yard and it Filled the tow wagon, but didn't weight much at all.
This John Deere is OLD, OLD, OLD and I am NOT a mechanic. I DON'T want to pour any more money into it, and I DON'T care to buy a zero turn riding mower, whose only purpose is to mow.
For any REAL towing, I already own a Kubota compact Tractor

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, feeling sorry for being $disinherited...very long story...then I have to sign at the Post Office for a certified check. Ole mom had paid for a prepaid funeral, which didn't happen, so I was the beneficiary to what was left over:
$3, 804.86
Local farm store got my mower. I paid:
$3,924.00
Just bought a brand new riding mower, the Kubota, for $119.14
Guess I get a last laugh!!!

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dunno if you can see this BUT, I must have 30 flowers on my peach tree this year!!!!
Peach tree, 04-10-21.jpg
:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was gonna put my old, large outside Christmas lights on this tree in case of a frost, since we are going down to 35 degrees tonight, but it has been quite windy, and cold and calm frosts off the blossoms.
You can see that my pear tree is covered with fruit flowers!
:fl:fl:fl
Maybe we'll have a normal Spring, without any hard freezes.

Latest posts