Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
So, Thinking about crop rotation, I have done a small study on it.
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nrcs.usda.gov%2FInternet%2FFSE_DOCUMENTS%2Fstelprdb1167375.pdf&clen=5529718&chunk=true

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
"When sown in September or October after the harvest of soybeans, wheat breaks the cycle of pests and weeds that tend to become problems with continuous summer annual crops."

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a little gem of a PBS program out of Wisconsin, that our local PBS station has been with holding mostly from us. I went searching for a 2018 episode where one farmer talks about crop rotation and manuring of the fields, from his own cattle, right before planting food grade winter wheat.
I have become a fan and NOW I know where I can watch episodes.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
While I have been dumping used stall bedding in the south pasture I discovered that some squirrel had planted a black walnut tree right across the fencing. For a moment I was HORRIFIED bc they aren't good for my horses.
But, then, I realized that this tree is probably about 15 years old, I had never noticed it before, my horses were probably NOT eating the bark, and I should simply keep it pruned up.
I noticed that it Looked like somebody had flung horse pucky on the other side of the fence.
I collected 279 black walnuts.
DH wants to play with them this weekend, and we'll find out if any are edible, or if we will need to wait until this Fall for the next harvest.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am pruning my fruit trees and grapes this weekend.
When we moved to our property about 22 years ago, a previous owner had established 8 grapes that were growing on a structure. Over the years we lost 1/2 of them. I potted up 3 grapes that I purchased last year, but one didn't make it. I will replace it in April with a new grape.
This is a post to give you newbies growing CONFIDENCE!
One big reason I enjoy gardening is that I don't cry buckets when a plant dies. So what?!?! They die when we eat them!
Much different if my favorite kittie, "Lynx" goes outside, 10PM, like she did this week, after ONE FULL MONTH OF NEVER LEAVING THE HOUSE, and didn't come back the next morning!!! I would have BEEN in mourning! :hit
Didn't happen.
**Lynx looks at me...WHAT?!?!?** :hu
**ME: :confused:**
This video should encourage those of you who need to prune your neglected grapes.
THESE vines were neglected for DECADES.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look at this recycling of potting soil bags, from the above video.
Tomato recycling pots.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They die when we eat them!
Yes, some do - or they die as seasonally annual plants, or as perennials that won't survive our winters.

However, they are best for the table if they are healthy from the garden AND our relationships shouldn't be the end of the road for the species. To the contrary, there should be more people growing the dear things with every year!

Steve ;)
give Lynx a pet for me

Latest posts