Ducks4you for 2022

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am pruning my fruit trees and grapes this weekend.
When we moved to our property about 22 years ago, a previous owner had established 8 grapes that were growing on a structure. Over the years we lost 1/2 of them. I potted up 3 grapes that I purchased last year, but one didn't make it. I will replace it in April with a new grape.
This is a post to give you newbies growing CONFIDENCE!
One big reason I enjoy gardening is that I don't cry buckets when a plant dies. So what?!?! They die when we eat them!
Much different if my favorite kittie, "Lynx" goes outside, 10PM, like she did this week, after ONE FULL MONTH OF NEVER LEAVING THE HOUSE, and didn't come back the next morning!!! I would have BEEN in mourning! :hit
Didn't happen.
**Lynx looks at me...WHAT?!?!?** :hu
**ME: :confused:**
This video should encourage those of you who need to prune your neglected grapes.
THESE vines were neglected for DECADES.

Been looking for a good grape pruning video for awhile! I will have a look at this!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the easy part about grape growing is knowing that the flowers and fruit will only come from one year old vines. after that it is a matter of shaping to fit what you have the vine growing on and managing it so that it doesn't get so big it will overwhelm.

the variety of the grape also has some influence on how many nodes you want to leave each year (to start off with to get a vine established you want a good trunk and you do not want it sloped or looped because water dripping off it instead of running down may encourage rot, disease or even cracking (which happened to my grape vine because it was growing on the ground for many years before i finally got an arbor built for it)).

i really enjoy grape vines (and the leaves are useful too :) ).

p.s. do not hang your loppers on the plant! you don't want to bruise or injure the trunk or vines.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yes, some do - or they die as seasonally annual plants, or as perennials that won't survive our winters.

However, they are best for the table if they are healthy from the garden AND our relationships shouldn't be the end of the road for the species. To the contrary, there should be more people growing the dear things with every year!

Steve ;)
give Lynx a pet for me
Thx. I will give Lynx kisses and cuddles and tell her that YOU sent them. :hugs
Lynx hiding, 11-12-21.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
The cock is crowing,
The stream is flowing,
The small birds twitter,
The lake doth glitter.
–William Wordsworth (1770-1850)
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Weather predicted through March 28th, no day/night below freezing.
Guess the frogs will Really wake up. Sometimes, in the Spring, you can't hear much But frogs, and they are at Least 1/4 mile away.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Post #28
Ok, I DO sometimes naked garden, but it's in the house and only the dogs or cats witness it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm back and forth on this. When I really am training my horses, I love being able to ride until 8:30 PM in the summer. Better than training at 5AM, which is what stables with indoor arenas do in the heat of the year.
Don't have one. :hit
**Ducks pity party. You're invited**

Latest posts