Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I now have two of these, one on top of the fridge, and another waiting for setup on the bottom shelf of my growing/shelving unit.

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will look this up and make a donation. I would dearly love to help these poor people.
Please know it's not the people's choice.

There have been ongoing protests too stop this war and people young and old have been beaten then arrested just peacefully asking for these bombardments to end. They can't even vote this thug out and opposition parties are under threat also

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I now have two of these, one on top of the fridge, and another waiting for setup on the bottom shelf of my growing/shelving unit.
They look lovely. I'm afraid to stay on the page too long because my phone will freeze.

What are the sizes I would love to put them in my window

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Please know it's not the people's choice.

There have been ongoing protests too stop this war and people young and old have been beaten then arrested just peacefully asking for these bombardments to end. They can't even vote this thug out and opposition parties are under threat also
I don't hold any ill will against the Russian people. The news has mentioned protests in Russia (brave considering the sentences there for protesting) and the fact that many Russians have family ties in Ukraine. I don't think anyone is benefiting from this situation at all. Not one single person.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had never heard of Babington leeks.

I'd like to grow artichokes but the plants are a distant memory from the Monterey Peninsula, where they grow by the acre. Ya know, I had a very tasty guacamole made with artichokes and avocados. Can't find it in the soopermarkets. I think imma gonna buy some of both and just mix them!

(He makes mention of Cardoon - @Alasgun 's plant. ;))

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of the perennial vegetables mentioned, I grow rhubarb, Jerusalem artichokes, and A LOT of perennial onions. My soil is too poorly drained for asparagus (as much as I wish otherwise) and the climate here is too cold for the others mentioned. Babington leeks are fascinating; but since elephant garlic (also a leek) is "iffy" here, I'll pass on those. I do grow a diminutive cousin of theirs (Pearlzweibel) which will grow as a perennial if undisturbed; but to harvest the bulbs, it must be dug & replanted like garlic.

There are two other unusual perennial vegetables I could mention: ground nut (Apios americana) and Chinese yam (Dioscorea polystachya, a.k.a. cinnamon vine). Their tubers are edible, and both are attractive, strong climbing vines which could be trained onto an arbor or trellis as edible landscaping.

Last edited:

Latest posts