Ducks4you for 2022

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beans are up and 2nd row of corn is also up.
I watered everything today, but with 99-100 degrees outside with a dewpoint in the mid 70's, it's Really hard to leave the dogs again to enjoy the AC by themselves!
I don't know how people manage in that kind of heat! If we get to 90 F we faint here!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got a small reprieve last night with a small pop up shower. It was enough to settle the dust. I'll happily accept that! For watering your tree, you can drill a 3/8" hole in a 5 gallon bucket, set several around the tree, fill with water. It will slowly leak out, the ground will soak it up and you know the tree got enough water. Put a brick in the bottom of the bucket so it doesn't blow away when empty.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We got a small reprieve last night with a small pop up shower. It was enough to settle the dust. I'll happily accept that! For watering your tree, you can drill a 3/8" hole in a 5 gallon bucket, set several around the tree, fill with water. It will slowly leak out, the ground will soak it up and you know the tree got enough water. Put a brick in the bottom of the bucket so it doesn't blow away when empty.
Thx! Good advice!! :hugs I am taking plants out of one of my 100 gallon Rubbermaid water tanks today so that I can use that to water. It has a rubber screw plug and I can set it, as I did last year, to drip slowly on the north branch line. Later this week OR next week I plan to get some comets to see if they can handle my cistern water.
Funny, by putting plants in their "bought me" pots into standing water I have kept all alive and growing.
This morning I am helping DD (day off for her) by bringing her a 14 inch tall basil, a thyme, a rosemary and a sage that I have kept alive this way.
I am having to pay to have my cherries in. The problem tree produced none, but the one year younger tree is loaded. By the end of this week it will be too late to harvest.
This is the 18yo kid, just graduated, Wants to work for $, and is reliable AND he lives across the street from me.
Picture of this tree later...when I have a minute!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
EXTRA family showed up Saturday for visit with DD and GS, so they didn't pick cherries. Everbody was too busy eating lunch, eating the yellow cake (warm) with chocolate frosting, and visiting.
Had to hire the kid across the street, and I now have 19 pies worth frozen, not pitted--too time consuming for now, but labelled.
MANY interruptions this morning, but I plan to take one last stab at harvesting. Probably only will have 1/3 of the tree's 2022 fruit, but some years the birds have gotten all of them. Funny, they attack the cherries after they get little black bugs in them.
I sawed down burdock and curly dock yesterday, the ones with the thick roots. I am leaving the pleasant AC soon to burn yesterday's haul and cut more. Getting hay this weekend, so I need to work on the loft, too. Fewer leftover bales this year, so that will help.
2 sweet corn look like they will be ready to harvest next week. Disappointing seeds from Burpee. I have had germination failure despite keeping them well watered.
Need to buy a submersible sump pump to pull water from my 25 ft cistern in front of the barn. I have been emptying out the smaller cistern to the south of the house and I would like to run water from the former to the latter.
I window shopped online and found affordable ones at Amazon, Farm & Fleet and Harbor Freight.
I usually only buy at Harbor Freight if it's a tool that I won't use very often.
ANY ADVICE WILL BE VERY APPRECIATED!!!!!! :hugs

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and GS last Saturday. Had to share!
1655908759169.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know how people manage in that kind of heat! If we get to 90 F we faint here!

pretty carefully for us. i'm no longer as tolerant of the heat and humidity as i used to be but i've also dropped some extra weight the past month and hope to keep that trend going the rest of the summer.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked one more bag this morning, now 25 pies worth. Dunno if I will get any more in, but that's better then Nuthin!
I checked all of the seals, loaded 19 bags into a recycled clear (w/writing) packaging bag, that had had a gift in it, tied the bag and put in my 14.5 cu ft freezer. The other bags went in a plastic Aldi bag, BUT, I labelled that bag.
Today's bag went to the porch freezer bc family has ordered a pie for the 4th.
Cherry freezing, 2022.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
CORRECTION:
Non submersible pump that plugs in and can use a hose to suck and a hose to deliver.
STILL would welcome advice.
BTW, we have a family answer to "where did you put that?!?!?"
In an Aldi bag...

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Picked one more bag this morning, now 25 pies worth. Dunno if I will get any more in, but that's better then Nuthin!
I checked all of the seals, loaded 19 bags into a recycled clear (w/writing) packaging bag, that had had a gift in it, tied the bag and put in my 14.5 cu ft freezer. The other bags went in a plastic Aldi bag, BUT, I labelled that bag.
Today's bag went to the porch freezer bc family has ordered a pie for the 4th.
View attachment 49773
Wonderful! Your own home grown cherries! 🍒 🥰🍒 For DH's last birthday I made Black Forest cake with bought cherry pie filling, but I would have LOVED to have made my own.