Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@heirloomgal , :hugs !!!
I am trying not to lose the one year older tree right west of it, some 15 ft. Somehow it has been taking a beating each summer. I have one of the Rubbermaid black 100 gallon water tank on a drip over the dripline on it's north side. I will be watering it this way ALL SUMMER. Last year it became almost completely defoliated in the summer, although it did grow back after heavy watering.
DD made a Black Forest cake last year. We used the big and heavy glass cake stand with it's heavy glass lid. I decided I didn't want to see it break, so I found a Better Homes & Garden plastic one (with the lid, withOUT the stand) that was only clearance ($6) and gifted it to her. NEXT time it will be easy.
Lucious cake, which says a LOT bc I don't care for chocolate cake.
I got cheap today and DIDN'T shop for a pitter that does more than 6 at a time. Guess I will watch tv this weekend while I pit cherries for a pie on the 4th bc it's gonna take some time.
IF you ever plant a tree for cooking pies a popular tree is "Montmorency Cherry", which is tart. You get a 2 week window to harvest, then they start getting little black bugs. THAT is when the birds want them, btw.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tilled in the old grapes and moldy pumpkin into the bed to be planted with sweet potato starts. I Still need to move more compost to till/rake in before I plant. I Should get them planted tomorrow. Had a 9AM dental appt., so I also went shopping. Bought 2 packages of broccoli seed, so I am good for Fall planting.
I might put out some of the 24 cabbages which, now that they aren't totally potbound, are doubling in size downstairs under gro lights.
Tomatoes haven't been watered since Saturday night's t storm, but they must be sending roots straight down. I heavily drip irrigated them for 3 weeks straight and NONE are fading. They get full sun from sunrise to sunset, south side of the garage. I have a marble sized fruit growing, and many flowers started.
Looks like 3-4 sweet corn could be harvested next week.
I NEED a nap to function for the rest of the day!!! :eek:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I ended up plugging my phone directly to my laptop for the pictures. What do you do when you:
1) pull foodstuff out of your freezer and leave it on the garage floor
2) bring home frozen grapes in 2 coolers and never refreeze them
???

Attachments

• Grapes being recycled, 06-27-22.jpg
    Grapes being recycled, 06-27-22.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Grape, moldy pumpkin being recycled in south of big garden, 06-27-22, #2.jpg
    Grape, moldy pumpkin being recycled in south of big garden, 06-27-22, #2.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 57
  • Grape, moldy pumpkin being recycled in south of big garden, 06-27-22.jpg
    Grape, moldy pumpkin being recycled in south of big garden, 06-27-22.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 71

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
No good picture of sprouted and old onion seeds, BUT I saved seeds from a 2021 Cinnamon Basil and they grew, AND old seed African Daisies look pretty good, too.

Attachments

• Cinnamon basil, from 2021 saved seed, NE garage bed, 06-27-22.jpg
    Cinnamon basil, from 2021 saved seed, NE garage bed, 06-27-22.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 55
  • African daisies, 06-27-22.jpg
    African daisies, 06-27-22.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 53

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
BEFORE any weeding, spot the tomatoes!!! All 24 are flourishing, even though no rain or watering since saturday night. Been hand weeding the burdock. Gotta rePAIR my sprayer. The straw has slipped off. I will need to find some gloves to wear to put it back on. Even so, it needs the brush treatment bc it's too close to the tomatoes and some okra. These are my two 6 ft horse fencing. This Fall I will cut them again, so that I have four 12 ft fences to use in the south part of 2023 big garden. The 6 stakes are 8 ft tall.
Tomatoes before weeding, 06-27-22.jpg

Latest posts