Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Haven't planted any seeds yet. Went through my seeds stash this morning and consolidated same with same. I like to store seeds in used containers, like empty spice jars, emptied and cleaned (and thoroughly dry) minced garlic, active yeast, or plastic applesauce containers, bc they are clear and I can roll up a portion of the seed envelope to read, with enough room for the seed.
Ordered 2 packaged of "Fooled You Jalepanoes," a hybred jalepano without the bite. As I was shopping I also saw, "coolapeno," guess it is similar. Ordered from Seeds 'N Such. Will let you know about the seed viability after I start them. The order includes 2 mystery seed packets. Guess I'll find out.
DD surprised me. I thought she liked the heat of the jalepanoes, but she, like me, doesn't care for the heat, but would like to eat them with cream cheese.
I let about 20 of the regular hot jalepenoes I harvested in 2021 dry out in a bowl, should I Wish to grow the seeds. We'll see...
I also ordered Red Nugent Hybrid Onion, 200 seeds.
I killed both basils, and a thyme. Lemon thyme was much bigger and likes the low light and the heat. So does the sage.
Took the pot that had the regular thyme in it, on a shelf by my south facing kitchen window, and pulled it, then planted 5 chives seeds. Put a sealed ziploc bag, one of 7 that I recycled--DD sends me home with a LOT of leftovers--and I should be able to keep an eye on it.
Went to 4 stores (not same day) and finally found caraway seed. I bought some dried chives and plan to try out the cottage cheese recipe for Super Bowl tomorrow.
I will be moving my now 2yo sweet peppers up to the top of the fridge tomorrow to keep an eye on them. I need the space downstairs.
Grapes are doing MARVELOUSLY!!! I found some spring bulbs that I had stored in the garage and had started sprouting, so I tucked them into the 3 grape pots for salvage.
Other DD needs to take the amaryllis. 2 leaves are now 10 inches high. I saved a paper towel roll for transport.
Last time she had it in her office and it flowered, everybody stopped by her office to marvel.
Regardless, later this year it will be transplanted in one of the front beds this summer to get stronger. MIGHT even grow another corn.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ordered 2 packaged of "Fooled You Jalepanoes," a hybred jalepano without the bite. As I was shopping I also saw, "coolapeno," guess it is similar. Ordered from Seeds 'N Such. Will let you know about the seed viability after I start them. The order includes 2 mystery seed packets. Guess I'll find out.
If you grow both heat-less jalapenos, I would be very interested in your observations. I've grown Tam Jalapeno which has a similar description, and was less than happy with it... the peppers were too small for me, and fairly late.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
IS it just ME, or have you noticed that seed packets contain fewer seeds than in the past? I just bought a pack of sweet pepper seeds at a box store, as an insurance, and I counted about 15 seeds in it. A chive package had less than 20 seeds. When I consolidated chive seeds the previous year's package had at least 50 seeds in it.
Good reason to buy from a seed company bc you know how many are in the package.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
About to start seeds this week. MAG (Mid American Gardener) had a panelist on last week with advice about starting seeds. FIRST, she suggested sterilizing the soil, since many of us have leftover starter soil from a previous year. Here is a primer I found online:
Next, SHE starts her seeds in a 3 inch peat pot, instead of a small cell. Typical advice, 3 seeds/pot, and then be willing to cull the weak.
I will let you know how it goes...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The problem for me has been too casual in harvesting. I tend to mix up similar varieties and not be sure upon arriving home and their showing up in the kitchen. Hot/Not Hot.

Fooled You. For me, an appropriate name ;). Those, I have grown. They performed okay in my garden. Tam was a similar experience as @Zeedman .

know anything about Seeds 'N Such?
My experience with this outfit was the following in addition to low germination, despite my tolerance to stated information.
have you noticed that seed packets contain fewer seeds

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman, do you know anything about Seeds 'N Such?
I have no experience with them, mainly because I normally buy or order very little seed. Oh, did I break that habit this year! :lol: I think I'm on my 6th order now, with one more to go (which must be mailed when temps are above freezing).

I think if they taste good And aren't really hot, DD and I will eat a Lot of them.
As would I. I will eat jalapeno poppers made from the hot ones (and am growing Early Jalapeno this year) but would enjoy them more if I could get that great pepper flavor without the heat. DW has an even lower heat tolerance than I do, so a good no-heat jalapeno is on my 'want' list. "Pizza Pepper" is actually close, since they resemble an over-sized jalapeno with low heat, are thick walled, and would probably be good stuffed... but they are not quite as meaty as a jalapeno.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting discussion on the "New corns of note" thread, https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/new-corns-of-note.24494/page-3,
#'s 23-27
#29, (@Ridgerunner ) wisely wrote,
"I'll give my take on the Three Sisters method."
Worth reading the Whole post bc sometimes we succumb to "urban garden legends," without researching them.

Still, MY take on s'mores is that nobody really like them. People like the IDEA of s'mores, but realize that they are just sticky and messy.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
New Corns thread has inspired me to listen to movie music.
Max Steiner, who composed the music for one of my Favorite Films, "Casablanca."
The opening theme is almost like American Native American movie themes.
Btw, if you have never seen this film, it is NOT a romance.
It is a hero story.
Lazlo, (to Rick): "Welcome back to the fight. THIS time I know our side will win."
DH deTESTS Ilsa Lund. She is weak and puts the heroes in danger.
Musically, This is one of my favorite scenes.
It is always fun when a modern composer writes like in the Baroque Period, with 2 lines of melody justoposed against each other.