Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
MORE pantry work. I have emptied out, (composted, of COURSE!!), cleaned the jars and put lids and Good screw tops on. All rusted and unusable metal is now out in my tool shed trash can for recycling. Local recyler gives me $0 for it, but it doesn't go to feed a landfill.
Greedy landfills alReady get fed too much!!
Created space for new jars and cans and plastic containers (applesauce, for instance), and I am using a Sharpie to write expiration dates that I can actually Read without a magnifying glass. Found an unoped jar of yeast which expires this August, now with 08/2022 written on the label, and storing newest to oldest expiration dates.
DH has promised to help, but I still need to move.
I have reclaimed about 30+ jars, and I have boxed them with cut pieces of cardboard (where I didn't have dividers) to keep them from touching/cracking each other in storage.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug , DD's say I can't raise ducks bc I can't bear to butcher them. Might be true. They are said to be very affectionate...chickens would eat us if the sizes were reversed.
Gotta clean out the burdock from both fowl enclosures and weasel proof them before I even Think about getting more chickens and maybe ducks. I understand that you can raise them together, and that's a thought, too.
I am "Duck" or "Duckums" to my family (and my dogs AND cats AND horses) bc when I was kid I practically Lived outside and loved to play in puddles. :cool:
Picked up the moniker, "ducks4you" when I had to create a password for work that required a digit. I Cannot TELL you how many times it has been my first password.
IF I get ducks YOU will be the First to know!! :hugs :hugs :hugs

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Back to Dreaming about making wine from apple juice, cherries and grapes still in jars downstairs.
I have the big bottle and fixings for it, and we have a local liquor store that sells yeast and corks, Friar Tucks.
View attachment 46853
We had a book store close about 10 years ago and a Binny's (liquor store) moved in. They always keep their boxes at checkout. Local canners started to come in for free boxes, bc the dividers are great for full or empty jar storage and they have gotten stingy with them. You HAVE to purchase from them to get even one box.
HowEVER, Aldi (grocery store) ALSO sells wine and I picked up one of their wine boxes there yesterday. I will keep my eyes peeled for more.
Aldi has you bag/box your own stuff. (or NOT.) They Sell reusable paper and plastic and insulated bags. Many shoppers, like Me, grab produce boxes to use instead. Since their staff both stocks and run the registers, they quietly encourage this since those are boxes that they don't have to break down.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think they will be mining them for metals and other things we are throwing away.

me too, there's a lot of glass, metals and plastics that might eventually be worth harvesting and reusing. once the methane has been burned off from all the rotting organic stuff.

for those who don't know this California is doing the right thing with their food and organic waste laws and programs, i hope Michigan will head in that direction and we really do need a rewrite of the bottle return laws because there's way too many non-carbonated beverage containers along the roads and there should be no way you can't return a container just because the place didn't sell it.

the problem with mining one landfill is that you'd probably have to open another to replace it while you're working on the first... or something. hopefully not, perhaps by then they'll just put everything they can't use through an incinerator and then be able to reuse it in place as new cover or something... metal contamination is an issue for growing new things, but hey, we'll assume they have that figured out by then too... :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think they will be mining them for metals and other things we are throwing away.
In the case of rare earths, that necessity may arise sooner then later.

The complication in mining a landfill is that they are usually located just outside urban areas, which eventually expand to surround them. That was the case for three adjoining quarries here which were originally rural, and used as landfills when the quarries were exhausted. The city expanded to surround them, but that land can't be developed because of gasses still being generated underground (relief tubes still protrude from those locations). So while the health of the surrounding community would no doubt benefit from anything which cleaned up the sites, the upheaval of excavating them now would be enormous.

Latest posts