Easy Winter Soups

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every fall I ask favorite soups for cold weather ( we get new members ) I eat a lot of soup in winter, I add pasta or rice to make more of a meal. I only make one from starch bean and escarole. What are your favorite soups ?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One of our favorites... SPLIT PEA SOUP

Save the water from cooking a Cottage Roll ( ham that has had a certain method of curing), put in fridge overnight, skim fat off in the morning.
Add about half a pkt. of rinsed green split peas depending how much ham stock I have, some diced onion, grated carrot, and believe it or not a bit of grated rutabaga, adds that little bit of something extra to the flavor.
This simmers on the stove all afternoon (could be done in a crock pot). An hour or so before serving add a few bits of diced ham and if it's not thick enough for our taste I add a bit of grated potato along with some fresh thyme leaves.
After ladling out in the bowls I sprinkle a few fresh thyme leaves over the top and serve with freshly baked tea biscuits.
Really good the second day, that is if there is anything left. I never measure anything, it's a case of that looks about right:).

Annette

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every fall I ask favorite soups for cold weather ( we get new members ) I eat a lot of soup in winter, I add pasta or rice to make more of a meal. I only make one from starch bean and escarole. What are your favorite soups ?
( for our new member's benefit ) NYboy making soup from scratch... on a stove ...and one and all are still alive ... :th

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

You can't get much simpler than my cooking.

I was anticipating more tomato soup yesterday when I told DW that the way I do it, it's basically just hot tomato juice.

That's the basis, anyway. And, I'm so pleased that I learned that removing the skin beyond the ends and blemishes wasn't necessary or even desirable, to my tastes.

I do have onions and garlic in it and add cheese and/or sour cream/Greek yogurt there towards the last.

Even if I start with bacon, the soup can be entirely a microwave & blender production :).

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
( for our new member's benefit ) NYboy making soup from scratch... on a stove ...and one and all are still alive ... :th
There's a starch bean?

Mary

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
any type of bean soup is always easy, especially when you find some type of meat that you threw into the freezer...

it's a bit time consuming, but homemade wonton soup.. it a big hit here at the house... and the leftover meat mixture is great in a omelet....

Latest posts