Exotic pets, Ollie flew the coop.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
What did they do with him in the winter?
They kept him indoors, in their parlor looking out the picture window. The house is a little bigger than a shoe box. It is on the street behind our's but the backs of our property adjoin, separated by a stand of large trees that do nothing to abate the noise.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky they are so hard to keep people are always looking to rehome. Here I see them for as cheap as $350.
I donated my parrot to the Berkshire Bird Paradise. The owners told me that people do not realize what they are getting into with parrots and after a few years just want them out of their lives. I had mine for 23 years and there were times I wanted to choke it. When we were caring for Ava when she was a baby the parrot went insane because we were paying more attention to Ava. It took a large chunk out of my thumb while I was putting food in the cage, that convinced me that it was time to take action.

At one point we had two parrots in the house. A woman who we hardly knew asked us to take her bird while she went on vacation. She knew we already had a bird and said they could keep each other company. She never returned to get the bird and must have left town. I gave the bird to a woman I worked with and it almost broke up her marriage.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our veterinarian has a macaw in the office with a big sign BITES! A client died and her kids gave him the parrot because he was the bird's vet. He was less than thrilled. LOL

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gave the bird to a woman I worked with and it almost broke up her marriage.
I lost a friend over a small parrot. :( She LOVED that bird and let it loose in the house almost all the time. She INSISTED that everyone let it land on them 'because he's so social and needs to interact with everyone'. Everytime he came near me he bit the blood out of whatever he could reach. I went home with bandaged fingers several times and just tried to avoid him. The day he landed on my head and nearly sliced through my earlobe he got swatted off onto the floor. I was told to leave and was never asked back. :(
I think they're beautiful - but I have NO desire to ever interact with another one.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I get my fill of them when we go to the zoo. My Dad was gifted one since he had a few different animals in his classroom. The parents got a divorce and neither apartment complex the parents each moved into said no way.

It was a military macaw
ara-militaire5.jpg

and it was loud. She was fun for about 10 minutes then it just wore on your nerves.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack I understand wanting to choke after a bite. The parrots are the only animal I ever had allowed to get away with biting me. Mine belonged to my brother it is the only thing keeping me from free to good home sign

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
those big beaks are for cracking very tough nuts. many years ago my then gf had her thumbnail bitten through by a jealous parrot. and for a while i lived with people who had a lot of birds including a small parrot that liked to terrorize all the other birds. after several episodes of large vet bills they finally did get rid of it and i'm pretty sure it had a partial role in breaking up that marriage too.

i'm not a morning noise person and those birds were often so loud i'd go for walks or hide in my room until i could bear it.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My experience with smaller birds tells me I would be really nervous dealing with a larger bird. I have had conures, a Quaker, love birds, cockatiels and parakeets. They are all sweet when they are young, but once they reach sexual maturity, they can get an attitude. I swear, those love birds seem to delight in biting the hand that feeds them.
The Quaker would buddy up to my son, then bite him on the neck.

I wouldn't mind another parakeet, though. Our little guy was totally mellow and loving.

Latest posts