EZ Soups

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have made broccoli soup by starting with a rue, adding a cup-ish of milk, a cup of chopped broccoli (usually from frozen since fresh almost needs a precooking to get done by the time the soup thickens), and adding a dollop of butter just before serving. Sometimes I have broccoli puree (I cook, puree and freeze the thicker stems) in ice cube trays that I add with the milk for more broccoli flavor. It wouldn't take much more than some shredded Cheddar to turn it into a Broccoli Cheddar soup.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The boys in our family are gourmet chefs, excluding DH that is :( sigh....
I love the way one DIL makes scalloped potatoes, thinly sliced potatoes and onion layered with mushroom soup and an aged cheddar cheese, yummy. and.... I have to admit our XDIL made the best clam chowder I've ever tasted and her butter tart melted in your mouth.
Annette

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't normally have a recipe of any kind...mostly just throw in whatever we have of veggies from the fridge, canned vegs, and canned meats~deer, chicken, rabbit, etc.

My fave is chicken soup and it's a big staple for us here each winter. I can up my chickens, so it's real easy to get into a pot of soup by just opening a jar, removing the meat from the bones, dicing it and adding to broth base(I always make sure to add some schmaltz...that just turns any soup into an unctuous treat). I usually add a little rice, kielbasa for some smokiness, some canned sweet corn(that just MAKES the soup, IMO), onions, garlic, celery, a few sprinklings of grated carrot~just enough for color, a few potatoes cubed small and a handful of noodles or even regular pasta.

We'll usually eat on that for a few days until we no longer want soup, then I thicken what's left, add some more chicken and kielbasa to beef it up a little and then make a pot pie of it. Even better the second go round!

I also can up a soup base from a medley of garden veggies(maters, squash, peppers, onions, garlic, chives, corn, taters) that can be added to a little canned venison, rice or pasta and tomato juice or deer bone broth. That one is more of a stew and is also turned into pot pie if there is any left over.

I'll often use chicken or turkey stock as a potato soup base or add schmaltz to the potato soup to add another dimension of flavor and usually add kielbasa to that as well. That one usually never has any left over for a pot pie. :gig