Family Restaurant

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What do you use in your batter to fry the chicken?

Everything looks so beautiful. First a feast for the eyes, then food for the soul and last is food for the belly.
I used flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, sweet paprika powder, and cayenne pepper powder. It seems this dish should be much much spicier, but I didn't want to challenge my own stomach, so I used more sweet paprika than cayenne powder.

DH and DD love the dish, but I don't know why I chose the day when the mega heatwave arrived to make this dish. :lol:

Pickle cucumbers taste so good!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, sweet paprika powder, and cayenne pepper powder. It seems this dish should be much much spicier, but I didn't want to challenge my own stomach, so I used more sweet paprika than cayenne powder.

DH and DD love the dish, but I don't know why I chose the day when the mega heatwave arrived to make this dish. :lol:

Pickle cucumbers taste so good!

spicy food and hot weather do go together well IMO. :)

ZinHead

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We now have three persons, two cats, two dogs, and 16 chickens. Most of the time, preparing food for all is part of my daily routine. Two years ago, when we had only two dogs, I bought commercial feeds for them. Five chickens came later, and now it turns to be 16. Last November, two kittens were also on board. Things changed a bit from that moment.

Sometimes I laugh at myself; it seems that I am running a small restaurant for my kids - daughter and husband (human kids), fur and feather kids. The good thing is, I love cooking.

So it might be fun to share what I make for the entire family.

I used glass jars to collect kitchen scraps, and they will become part of chicken feed the following day, mixed with fermented feed.

View attachment 44184

View attachment 44180

Cats and dogs are raw fed, and I prepared their meals according to a rough ratio: meat 80% / meaty bone 10% / organs 10%. They also enjoy fresh eggs from our hens.

View attachment 44181

In the beginning, it was much more complicated to prepare fresh food for them every day. But now, practices make the preparation easy. I know what they are eating, and there is nothing I can't recognize.
View attachment 44182

They came to us when they were two months old. Right after their weaning, each of their meal till today is homemade.
View attachment 44183

As for us, I used cured meat, red lentils, quinoa, and sesame oil ginger paste for the rice.
View attachment 44185

Added some blanched flower sprouts
View attachment 44187

Bacon and Beans
View attachment 44188

Scrambled eggs with kimchi and tomatoes
View attachment 44189

Stir-fried Chinese cabbage and Shiitake, seasoned with shallot and shrimp confit
View attachment 44190

After having our garden, planting vegetables and fruits, raising chickens - our meals become more flavorful. Although I won't have a restaurant, I love to cook for family and friends.
Yummy, yum 😋 😋

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
spicy food and hot weather do go together well IMO. :)
Look at which countries a lot of this spicy food comes from. Look at how spicy the local cuisine is in cooler climates, think UK or Scandinavia versus many countries, upper midwest versus Gulf Coast. There are different theories for why this is but I found it interesting.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look at which countries a lot of this spicy food comes from. Look at how spicy the local cuisine is in cooler climates, think UK or Scandinavia versus many countries, upper midwest versus Gulf Coast. There are different theories for why this is but I found it interesting.

you're already hot and miserable so what the heck? :) just kidding. i do like hot foods and get cravings for something spicy from time to time.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, there are so many different ways to define and express spiciness - and it would also lead to different experiences when other flavors are mixed together.

I recently watched "Ugly Delicious" on Netflix, a nice series about such topics.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am addicted to our veggies; they are so delicious.
6242.jpg

duck breast, potatoes fried with duck fat, broccoli, Chinese mallow, and zucchini
6240.jpg

Flowers for the table, sweet peas
6241.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That duck looks so good!

I got Muscovy ducks, was going to raise them. My Great Pyrenees Trip, the sweetie I recently had put down because of cancer, put them on HIS menu! Turned out that he liked duck too. I may try them again some day. My new farm has 2 ponds.