Family Restaurant

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How is your Father in Law, P? He used to be in these photos but I know that his mood was transitioning in the wrong directions recently. Hugs.
Yes, his situation deteriorated quite quickly. We removed most of the devices and utensils from the kitchen and had to lock the main door and some windows when we left him in the evening. Although weekly, he goes to the Daycare for three days and has a companion from us and the church volunteer, when he has to stay at home alone, no matter in the evening or weekend (we can't stay there 24 hours), we are always worrying about he might hurt himself.

Another concern is staying in a house alone almost every evening, with no one to talk to (although he can no longer make a meaningful conversation)...it's stressful for him, too. He used to say recently, almost every day - I wish I could die as soon as possible.

He already can't recognize his home and always asks when we can bring him home. So we applied and were on the waiting lists of several nursing houses in the surrounding. Yesterday, we got a confirmation from the one in our town. This afternoon, we went to check the environment - it's clean, bright, simple, but comparatively safe. His room is ready, and we will start to bring some more furniture and paintings he loves. We will visit him daily like we are doing now, but not spending two to three hours in a car is really good news for us.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Friday night - our weekly treasure hunt in Lidl.
Last Friday and today, I got 50% off smoked fish products, which are really "convenient food" for us. Last Friday, I got ten packages of smoked skinless, boneless trout;
6271.jpg

Today, I got ten packages of smoked salmon.
6275.jpg

This Lidl will generously put the 50% off stickers on such packaged and cooked fish products about one week from the best-before date. When I saw them, I brought them all back home and directly sent them into the freezer. They can be used in so many different ways.

Our dinner is salmon and zucchini pizza today, yummy.
6273_0.jpg

6274.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That duck looks so good!

I got Muscovy ducks, was going to raise them. My Great Pyrenees Trip, the sweetie I recently had put down because of cancer, put them on HIS menu! Turned out that he liked duck too. I may try them again some day. My new farm has 2 ponds.
I also want to raise ducks...but we already have chickens and quails. DH might be upset if I keep adding family members. :lol:

Ducks are not so popular in Germany yet, so the most available choices we have are the frozen duck breast and thigh. When it's close to Christmas time, the entire frozen ducks will be available - it seems most of them are raised in France.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So, on my last day as his private chef - He went to the daycare, and I stayed home to clean and cook as usual. I made him a new bouquet with colorful flowers picked from the small garden, arranged a yogurt with fruits, and prepared the scrambled eggs he loved the most.
6369.jpg

What I felt was a mixture of heaviness and relief at the same time. But we all have to move on.

The urban garden shows her beauty and how much joy and life she can offer under proper maintenance. I am glad to have the chance to renovate and know I can create a paradise like this.
6411.jpg

The vertical planting idea works well on this wooden wall. The peas and bush beans look happy.
6420.jpg

The eggplants in the bottomless pots - are very impressive!
6416.jpg

All of them are fruiting, including the young plants bought from the nursery and the ones I grew from seeds.
6415.jpg

Tomatoes are also growing well - one of the best lessons I learned from planting in this garden is container planting, especially the bottomless planters - they share some similarities with raised beds and can create abundance, too.
6412.jpg

Foxtail amaranth from microgreen seeds took a long time to grow at the seedling stage, but eventually, they became such pretty plants that can offer lovely colors in the landscape.
6418.jpg

Dahlias and peas
6419.jpg

At the lower deck, the beans, peas, and garlic (for harvesting garlic greens) sowed in early July still can produce a lot of food in the coming months.
6420.jpg

Fresh sunflower seeds for the chickens
6422.jpg

I knew the "Goodbye" was approaching; this time, it would be a permanent leave from this place, where I spent my first three years in Germany. This small garden is where my gardening journey began, and I wish I never needed to say goodbye to her.

But we have to, as always. We move forward for the next strange new world that is already waiting.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a mixture of sad and relief. No one could have had better care or more love than what you and your husband provided for your father in law. Because of you, he was able to stay in his home much longer. Now he will be closer and y’all can rest a little easier knowing that he has 24hour care. It has to be so hard to take him away from his home, but it is best for all involved. Bless you and your husband for being so kind and loving to him.

Latest posts