Family Restaurant

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband had an emergency admit to the local hospital some years ago. A dietician came in to advise on a salt-free diet and we couldn't even relate to what she was saying. How does that translate to cooking from scratch? We don't eat the heavily processed foods she was talking about. The food he was served was abysmal -- high fat, high processed, high salt, high sugar (and that was their 'low salt' menu).

i think that would have been a good thing to include on a comment or suggestion card followup. just to point out that their message is mixed and needs to change. i do think that in some places fresher foods are being included more on school menus and kids who are raised with that being on the menu are more likely to want to keep eating that way through life. it's a long slow change that does need to happen in our country IMO. the rate of diseases and health issues from such a poor diet does come home to roost from such habits. no matter what the food industry lobbies and poor label information folks might think they can get away with. if enough people want something and it creates enough of a market then some others will be willing to try to get in there and meet that demand.

Contrast that with the hospital for his surgery, in a predominately Asian community not far away. The food was fresh, natural and highly varied like we are accustomed to. Difference of night and day.

:) that's good to hear that some can get it right. just gotta keep working on the rest. :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My husband had an emergency admit to the local hospital some years ago. A dietician came in to advise on a salt-free diet and we couldn't even relate to what she was saying. How does that translate to cooking from scratch? We don't eat the heavily processed foods she was talking about. The food he was served was abysmal -- high fat, high processed, high salt, high sugar (and that was their 'low salt' menu).

Contrast that with the hospital for his surgery, in a predominately Asian community not far away. The food was fresh, natural and highly varied like we are accustomed to. Difference of night and day.
A dear old lady i know has always listened too her doctor, hospitals and always followed their letter too the T. She was admitted too hospital last year after after a fall as well as having numerous medical conditions.
She had lost a great deal of weight, which is worrying as she is only between six and seven stone

On leaving the hospital she was given a handbook on diet she should use, she said she was totally shocked too read the junk food they had suggested. Shop bought pies pizza, pasties and instant crap basically.

Has the health system lost all reasonable thoughts on a healthy nutritional diets? That's really scary :(

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have many recipe books but seldom do anything according to a fixed recipe. I prefer to use different concepts and skills on whatever I have at hand.

Today I made some veggies-in-blanket (bacon): beans, tofu, and pumpkin. To ensure the veggies are soft enough, I put the rolls on the upper layer of the rice cooker. Before serving, I pan-fried them again for the best bacon effect. :D Besides, the rice is cooked with some bacon flavor, too.
6034.jpg

It's a real family restaurant - some for us, some for our feathered and furred members. I can't adequately describe it, but I love this meal preparation process for the entire family.
This box on the left side is for chickens.
6031.jpg

Meaty bones for raw-fed cats and dogs
6032.jpg

Today's lunch for my FIL:
noodle salad (with boiled eggs, sweet potatoes, peas); bacon veggies rolls, sliced zucchini fried with chicken breast.
Apple juice
Yogurt with blueberries, fresh apple puree, and mountain cranberries - it's an interesting thing to use fruits and yogurt to "paint" a dessert. For me, it's not just a dessert, but also something that can be somehow linked with cognitive practices - colors, numbers, shapes, patterns :D
5962.jpg

He ate very well today, too. As a cook, it's the best rewarding to know what you cook will become something helpful for someone's health.

Another important thing is to eat with him. Most of what he says now are more like fantasies - some are ridiculous, but well, even at this stage of life, we still need to be listened to, need someone to talk with, and need to be understood.
5963.jpg

My lunch was also delicious -rice with sweet potatoes, pan-fried beans, tofu, and boneless chicken thigh, yummy. Some ingredients are the same, but the final meal is totally different.
6033.jpg

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today one housecleaner came to help us clean the laundry room in the basement. I prepared her coffee in the morning and a simple sandwich as her lunch when she finished her working hours and left. She was happy, me too.

I always prepare drinks, snacks, and lunch for handymen who help us repair or install anything in the house. Being candlelight with some bit of warmth is always a choice I will make.
6023.jpg

So, I want to share an easy way to cut a pretty club sandwich. Whether two or three slices of toast are used, spaghetti noodle is very helpful and 100% eco-friendly.
6019.jpg

6020.jpg

Break it into four similar lengths, and insert them roughly at these locations.
6021.jpg

Those dried noodles will fix whatever is inside the sandwich, making it easy to cut nicely.
5944.jpg

The last task today, we have got various 50% off ingredients again from the discounter, hooray!
6024.jpg

6025.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have many recipe books but seldom do anything according to a fixed recipe. I prefer to use different concepts and skills on whatever I have at hand.

Today I made some veggies-in-blanket (bacon): beans, tofu, and pumpkin. To ensure the veggies are soft enough, I put the rolls on the upper layer of the rice cooker. Before serving, I pan-fried them again for the best bacon effect. :D Besides, the rice is cooked with some bacon flavor, too.
View attachment 46779
It's a real family restaurant - some for us, some for our feathered and furred members. I can't adequately describe it, but I love this meal preparation process for the entire family.
This box on the left side is for chickens.
View attachment 46780
Meaty bones for raw-fed cats and dogs
View attachment 46781

Today's lunch for my FIL:
noodle salad (with boiled eggs, sweet potatoes, peas); bacon veggies rolls, sliced zucchini fried with chicken breast.
Apple juice
Yogurt with blueberries, fresh apple puree, and mountain cranberries
View attachment 46782
He ate very well today, too. As a cook, it's the best rewarding to know what you cook will become something helpful for someone's health.

Another important thing is to eat with him. Most of what he says now are more like fantasies - some are ridiculous, but well, even at this stage of life, we still need to be listened to, need someone to talk with, and need to be understood.
View attachment 46783

My lunch was also delicious -rice with sweet potatoes, pan-fried beans, tofu, and boneless chicken thigh, yummy. Some ingredients are the same, but the final meal is totally different.
View attachment 46784

those are five star meals with love as far as i'm concerned. :) kudoes. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Phaedra, I was in a parking lot yesterday and your FIL's forgetfulness makes me think of the experience.

I've been in the building several times each year over about 30 years. About 5 years ago, a new wing was built - right over the old parking lot. The new parking lot is a spacious bit of asphalt. BTW, is it funny that my cane slips on the ice before my feet do? Always have to pay attention to just moving around!

The parking lot and entrance on that side are not a totally new experience but I'm usually using the door on the other side of the building since I'm parking in the neighbor's parking next door, more recently. So, I come in and there are 2 people just inside the door with the convenient sign directing us, behind them. I look right. I look left! Which way??? Ah yes, I recognize the wall down the hall on the left. The WALL.

If they had changed the wall over the last year, I'd have been lost. It wouldn't have helped that I'd been in one part or another of that building 90 or 100 times in the past. In fact, it might have hindered my sense of direction. There are many things just like this happening every month of every year. Things change. Memories can be misleading and ain't that almost a breach of trust!?

;) Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Phaedra, I was in a parking lot yesterday and your FIL's forgetfulness makes me think of the experience.

I've been in the building several times each year over about 30 years. About 5 years ago, a new wing was built - right over the old parking lot. The new parking lot is a spacious bit of asphalt. BTW, is it funny that my cane slips on the ice before my feet do? Always have to pay attention to just moving around!

The parking lot and entrance on that side are not a totally new experience but I'm usually using the door on the other side of the building since I'm parking in the neighbor's parking next door, more recently. So, I come in and there are 2 people just inside the door with the convenient sign directing us, behind them. I look right. I look left! Which way??? Ah yes, I recognize the wall down the hall on the left. The WALL.

If they had changed the wall over the last year, I'd have been lost. It wouldn't have helped that I'd been in one part or another of that building 90 or 100 times in the past. In fact, it might have hindered my sense of direction. There are many things just like this happening every month of every year. Things change. Memories can be misleading and ain't that almost a breach of trust!?

;) Steve
Thanks for the sharing; I have some similar thoughts during these two weeks. However, it's too late today. I will write it down tomorrow.

Latest posts