Feeding: Broccoli pumpkin, blueberrries and herbs

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You have to stay flexible and do what you need to do. As I often say, I usually don't have "ideal" conditions, I have conditions "I deal" with. Your broccoli plants look small but after 18 hours they are standing upright, not wilting down and dying. You are certainly still in the hunt.

To me there are three main dangers when you transplant, each are magnified when the plants are small. The sun can cook them, they can dry out since their root system isn't established, and the wind can dry them out. Where you are the sun is probably not that bad, especially compared to Texas or Alabama to mention a few. You can always water if you need to. The sides of your raised bed may provide a lot of wind protection while they are small and vulnerable.

My biggest problem with growing a fall garden is that the plant predators have had half a season to grow and multiply. In Arkansas if I tried growing broccoli, cauliflower, or cabbage for the fall I'd have to set it out in August for it to grow and mature before freezing. The grasshoppers were so bad they'd eat that stuff to the ground, it didn't have a chance. Interestingly further south in Louisiana grasshoppers aren't a problem. My fall gardens are pretty successful. There are some pests but they are manageable.

We all have our conditions we deal with. I wish you luck with yours. Sometimes trial and error is the best teacher.
There are insects around I haven't seen before. So I really have my work cut out.

I've wondered for a few years what are these laced wings I've been finding. I have only seen these things for about six years or so. I never see the actual insect but only find the wings.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are insects around I haven't seen before. So I really have my work cut out.

I've wondered for a few years what are these laced wings I've been finding. I have only seen these things for about six years or so. I never see the actual insect but only find the wings.

:) this is a part of why i love gardening, it puts you in a more direct contact with life, the bugs, the birds and other animals, all the cycles and conflicts they have while trying to live and make more of their own kinds, bacteria, fungi, etc. all works together on this planet. you do what you can to get a harvest, but to me the biggest thing to learn is that diversity in plantings and diversity in efforts are what will help you the most. paying attention, learning, coping, laughing and once in a while saying "oh well." and getting on with something else like making tapioca pudding is what is called for... :)

i applaud every gardener and i heart them all no matter what they end up doing because i think the alternative is so much worse.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:) this is a part of why i love gardening, it puts you in a more direct contact with life, the bugs, the birds and other animals, all the cycles and conflicts they have while trying to live and make more of their own kinds, bacteria, fungi, etc. all works together on this planet. you do what you can to get a harvest, but to me the biggest thing to learn is that diversity in plantings and diversity in efforts are what will help you the most. paying attention, learning, coping, laughing and once in a while saying "oh well." and getting on with something else like making tapioca pudding is what is called for... :)

i applaud every gardener and i heart them all no matter what they end up doing because i think the alternative is so much worse.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My chives and herbs

20210710_100028.jpg

20210710_100004.jpg

The broccoli is holding up this morning.
20210710_095834.jpg

20210710_095822.jpg

Here's a picture of my 8 foot by two raised bed
20210710_095029.jpg

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Post a photo. Sometimes I get some really small heads, sometimes they are massive. Sometimes I get more broccoli from the suckers than the main heads.

You want to harvest them before any yellow flowers show up so keep an eye on them. I think you will learn pretty quickly when a good time to harvest them is by trial and error if nothing else. But watch closely for flowers.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Post a photo. Sometimes I get some really small heads, sometimes they are massive. Sometimes I get more broccoli from the suckers than the main heads.

You want to harvest them before any yellow flowers show up so keep an eye on them. I think you will learn pretty quickly when a good time to harvest them is by trial and error if nothing else. But watch closely for flowers.
Thanks for the advice. I will keep a look out now.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will add this to another thread but need to keep things here to come back to.

I took a couple of cuttings from my mint and I was pleased to see they are now starting too grow roots :)

Then on reading in here about melon seeds being collected I looked up a way on starting melon seeds off.
Melon seeds now in my home made grower

20210713_183903.jpg

20210713_182914.jpg

Mint
20210713_183042.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just really enjoy listening to this guy, so really wanted to share this here

Latest posts