Finally got bees

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Don't worry about me, I'm just jealous!!! :rolleyes:
Oh, V I'm sorry! I do hope you will get bees one day.

Lesa, actually he wanted $175 but we gave him $200 and some eggs. I thought it was worth it since he did deliver them set them up. He also said that if anything did happen to the queens, he'd replace them free of charge.

Retired - I'm curious as why you have never gotten honey!?

Desertlady - that is sugar water to feed them. 2 parts water / 1 part sugar. Not sure why I have to feed them now, maybe because they are in a new hive.

I'll open the hive on Sunday to see how they are doing.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds like it worked out great... having his help will prove valuable, indeed. I am opposed to feeding bees, but perhaps for the move, he felt it was necessary? Looking forward to hearing your report on Sunday!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lesa, I guess I really didn't even think about him feeding them. I didn't understand that since there are blooming plants now. One reason why I did buy from him is that he does not use antibiotics.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I feel the need to feed the bees (like the first time I took too much honey...) I will only feed honey back to them. I do not like the idea of feeding GMO sugars to the bees. Generally, if we don't steal too much of their honey, there should be no need to supplement. Bees are very clever- and have managed to survive without corn syrup for many a moon! However, that is just my opinion- we practice organic, non-intervention bee keeping. Just like gardening or chicken raising, there are a million different ways to do it...

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
If I feel the need to feed the bees (like the first time I took too much honey...) I will only feed honey back to them. I do not like the idea of feeding GMO sugars to the bees. Generally, if we don't steal too much of their honey, there should be no need to supplement. Bees are very clever- and have managed to survive without corn syrup for many a moon! However, that is just my opinion- we practice organic, non-intervention bee keeping. Just like gardening or chicken raising, there are a million different ways to do it...
Right, and that is what we are striving to do here also. Like a dummy, I didn't think about GMO sugars! How much honey should be on the frames so that I won't have to feed them?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you make up the mixture? If you used cane sugar- you should be ok. If you used beet or corn, it will probably be GMO. At any rate, it is nothing to worry about- once they get adjusted to their new home- you can make any changes you are comfortable with. Have you noticed the bees foraging yet?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just mixed up white granular sugar as that is what he told me. I'm at work, but I did IM my sister who works from home and she said she has checked a couple of times to see if they are foraging, but didn't see any. I have a lot of plants and vegetables that are blooming like crazy right now tho.