Finally got bees

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The reason we didn't get honey until now, first year you leave for a new hive to get through the winter, second year was a bad nectar year, third year we got some but not a lot because we had lost one of two hives during the winter, last year was another bad nectar year in that a drought came before we robbed the hives and they ate most of the honey and we didn't want to leave them without anything to eat. We are hoping for 4 supers at least this year from the two hives from last year. We added 4 more hives but will not take from them this year. We have lost a hive each winter and had to replace the bees in the spring. I won't to learn how to divide the hives and make new ones so we can keep this going. We are learning slowly how to care for them. I have reactions to stings so have to be very careful and my husband is still a little afraid of them. I wouldn't care at all to completely take care of them but with several discs bulging can't lift like I once did so really need his help. This was my idea and started it before we got married and as a nice man he just helps out. lol

We belong to a wonderful bee club and have learned everything through the club. I am even the president now, not because I know a lot about bees, but because as a former teacher I don't care to lead the group and those "old farmers" can teach us "younger" folks. That is a laugh, "younger", but there are some wise people there to teach us "new" folks a thing or two.

Wishing you luck with the bees

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had no idea how heavy the frames full of honey were! I was very surprised! I ordered 8-frame hives because "they" say they are easier to manage especially for people with back problems. The only drawback is, I'm the only one in the bee club that has 8-frame hives so I can't buy equipment from other members - I'll have to order online.

I also want to learn how to split a hive so I can keep mine going. The guy that I got my bees from is holding a class in the next couple of weeks, so I'm thinking about taking it.

I really thought I'd be afraid of them, but I was not at all. As long as I have the suit on, I'm perfectly comfortable! ;)

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Two of our new hives are 8 frame, got them from my son who has quit beekeeping because he had to move. I just can't manage a full super unless a HAVE to situation. A friend in our bee club and her husband are changing out all 30 of their hives to 8 frame because of their age and health.

Our club's meeting this month was on dividing a hive but we were out of town and didn't get to attend. Looking forward to talking with some members to learn a little.

I have never been afraid of them either but I do kinda panic when I get stung. Some got into my suit (?) one time and stung my head and I did the panic thing and took off the suit after running to the garage, so got stung several more times. Spent a few hours at the doctors office with that one. I am not allergic to them as of yet, but swell up like a balloon. I do have an epi pen in case I ever have an allergic reaction. I have trouble staying in the suits for very long. I overheat. I don't know whether it is "hot flashes" or what but I burn up in those things.

The things we do for the things we love to do!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sick of hearing about bees here either. I admire you for getting started in bees. Wish I had the nerve. I'm pretty skittish about getting stung. Although my dad used to catch honey bees to sting Mom with, to help alleviate her arthritis. (Family is weird, I know) There is a lady in a nearby town who does that for people. She has quite a clientele.:hu

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Each of the three times I have had to go to the doctor with stings my arthritis has gotten better, but I can't say whether it was the bee sting or the shots the doctor gave me that helped it, wish I knew.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
retiredwith4acres said:
Each of the three times I have had to go to the doctor with stings my arthritis has gotten better, but I can't say whether it was the bee sting or the shots the doctor gave me that helped it, wish I knew.
I would think the doctor gave you some kind of steroid, to reduce swelling and inflamation. That would sure help the arthritis.I used to get an allergy shot in the spring. They would help my arthritis. Don't know why a person couldn't just get those regularly!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, we took a peek in the hives last Sunday Lesa, and to my novice eyes everything seems to be fine. They are drawing out the top frames and there is a lot of bees and activity. We didn't see the queens and didn't see any larve, but then we didn't inspect every frame either. I know they come back to the hive around 6pm, because there is plenty of buzzing around the hive, but I haven't seen a one little bee in my garden. The herb garden is full of blooms and so is the veggie garden. I guess they have found a better place. I'm really not sure what to look for, or how often I should do an inspection. Any advice? We have our next meeting on the 12th, so maybe I can gain a little more knowledge.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am really not one to constantly open up the hives... If you see them coming and going and everything looked good on your inspection- I would leave it at that. Bees are good at what they do- they have been doing it forever. The amount of "help" they need from us is minimal! I am surprised you haven't seen them in the garden. Perhaps there is a big flow somewhere nearby that they can't resist. Do you have any borage planted? Glad all is well- I have been wondering!

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We look in about once every two weeks, not necessarily all the way down. Just need to know when to add supers or to see if any disease or if for some reason they are making queen cells to swarm. We don't like to disturb often. They have found a honey flow somewhere else and will be back to your garden. Mine love the oregano that has just started blooming. Also, since our honey flow is about over we have let our yard grow with the clover and they are really working it right now. We mow the yard by thirds so there is fresh bloom going most of the time. I know that doesn't make for a good grass in the yard but helping out nature a little here. We have plans to take some honey tomorrow. Looking forward to that. I think we will have 3-4 supers to take or around 40 frames. Today will be washing up everything to be ready.

Latest posts