Finally got bees

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lesa, there must be - I don't have borage, but I have hyssop, and I've let a lot of my basil flower - I remember seeing a lot of bees on them last year. I do have some clover in the yard, but not a lot. I have a big bag of seed I'm going to plant. I live in a rural area, so they have found a flow elsewhere to be sure.

retired, I like your idea of mowing in thirds. I wonder, is it to late to plant my clover?

Oh, and I just planted a vitex shrub - a member of the club said it blooms all summer and the bees love it.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It takes clover a few years to really get established. My son planted in a cow pasture one year and it was the third year before really good stand of clover. Once there it spreads and will kill out the other grass. You can bet they have a source somewhere. Right now some of ours are on the raintree that is in bloom, lavender, and other things also besides the clover.

I am anxious tomorrow to see what colors the honey will be and try to figure where it came from in the plant world. Last time we had a dark light honey which we figured was clover and black locust mainly. I would like to be able to get some different colors to enter into the county fair. I will enter at least one which will probably be a mix of all the frames but if I find a frame or two with a distinctive different shade I will try to isolate it to get a jar for entry. We are planning on doing a cover crop for the garden of buckwheat which bees love and it makes a very dark and very strong tasting honey. We will see how that goes.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a large patch of ground that runs along the road on my property. I'm going to plant the clover there. Will it choke out Bermuda?!!!

Good luck with the honey harvest!

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
I have a large patch of ground that runs along the road on my property. I'm going to plant the clover there. Will it choke out Bermuda?!!!

Good luck with the honey harvest!
I 'd say NO, bermuda are really tough, but I could be wrong..