Finally...Some Snow! :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally had a little snow here today, here and there. One little white out that was really pretty but it stopped. Just enough to get me soaking wet as I was doing a project or two....I'll take it and wish for more!

Supposed to get down in the teens tonight, so plugged in and filled the heated bucket and water bowl. Put some fluffy dry leaves in the coop and plugged a few gaps I've been meaning to plug since forever...I usually leave gaps alone but these are in the wrong place.

Filled all the wood carts, emptied ashes.

Also added more fresh hay to the dogs' living quarters as well. It's not subzero weather but it gets me excited and triggers nesting all the same. :D

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you're getting a little bit of snow at least Bee.
Our day has warmed up a bit and a little bit of that heavy frozen snow has
slid from some pine branches. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer still, so I'm hoping for most if not all the trees to start clearing themselves of all that weight on the branches.
We're going to be in for a bad beetle year in the trees according to the Forest Service. We had so many trees break off during that windstorm in Nov. (?) that the beetles are going to be having a heyday in all those open wounds.

The good news is that the snowpack in the Sierras is normal for this time of the year. " According to the USDA/NRCS, through Jan. 1, 2015, the Sierra snowpack was 100 percent or more of average for the season." And they are expecting more to come from this next round of storms.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you're getting a little bit of snow at least Bee.
Our day has warmed up a bit and a little bit of that heavy frozen snow has
slid from some pine branches. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer still, so I'm hoping for most if not all the trees to start clearing themselves of all that weight on the branches.
We're going to be in for a bad beetle year in the trees according to the Forest Service. We had so many trees break off during that windstorm in Nov. (?) that the beetles are going to be having a heyday in all those open wounds.

The good news is that the snowpack in the Sierras is normal for this time of the year. " According to the USDA/NRCS, through Jan. 1, 2015, the Sierra snowpack was 100 percent or more of average for the season." And they are expecting more to come from this next round of storms.

the mountains of cali will need 300% for the 4 year drought and a unseasonably wet summer to just refill the reservoirs. plus the aquifers need to be recharged as well.
well to think of it so does the colorado watershed.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
the mountains of cali will need 300% for the 4 year drought and a unseasonably wet summer to just refill the reservoirs. plus the aquifers need to be recharged as well.
well to think of it so does the colorado watershed.

Thank you for the reality check Mr. Sunshine! :lol:

I was looking on the positive side.... a little is better than none ya know.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
just stated a fact......and i hope everyone has a very wet winter on the positive side. remember i lived at tahoe where they have been dealing dry winters and the bark beetle long before you...miss sunshine....:lol::lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
just stated a fact......and i hope everyone has a very wet winter on the positive side. remember i lived at tahoe where they have been dealing dry winters and the bark beetle long before you...miss sunshine....:lol::lol:

Major, do you mean that drought and bark beetles predate me? Or that you have been around long before I was born? :confused:

Gee...well, I know that I am practically a spring chicken. :D

And I also hope that everybody has a winter that is neither excessive or stingy in the water department.. :)

California has been experiencing droughts since my earliest memories of these things. It won't be cured in one winter that's for sure.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shhhh........ @thistlebloom it is not a well known fact, but @majorcatfish actually has been around for a long time. He was instrumental in the evolution of the pine beetle. They used to be big strapping insects that were a danger to the dinosaurs, but thanks to majorcatfish, they are now shrunken to a fraction of their former size. We really owe him a debt of gratitude. Maybe he will share with us just how he saved us from gigantic pine beetles....

Latest posts