Finally...Some Snow! :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a young'n, I used to love sledding down hospital hill. The city? School janitor? kept an ice skating rink right across from my elementary school complete with warming house. I rather lived on the ice as much of the winter as possible. Winter is most certainly for the young -- especially those born to the snow and ice. My birthday is in January so I came in with the frigid weather.

I understand @HomesteaderWife wanting to experience the thrill of flying downhill, soaring over an abutment, and racing toward the creek at the bottom. But it is a child's thrill best seen through the eyes of a child with rubber bones. Mine are too likely to be broken by the jarring and I'd end up in the water if I tried sledding now.

Perhaps she needs a trip up into the mountains?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our early snow -- the Sunday before Thanksgiving -- came in piles long before we started shoveling. There would have been no place to put it, but the sun and Southern breezes melted all of it. No foreseeable melting of this current 3-4 inches. Daytime temps are too cool to loosen the grip of the ice above and below the snow.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have about 30" on the level ground, much higher along shoveled paths.
Not melting anytime soon with the highs in the mid to low 20's.

@HomesteaderWife , I'm 58 and still love sledding! I make dh drag me around the neighborhood behind the quad every winter. (On a sled of course).

Tomorrow or maybe Sunday we are going to have the first annual "Drag Yer Wife Down The Road" event, complete with a snowman extravaganza for the neighborhood. Just our little cul-de-sac group. Should be fun!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@HomesteaderWife :lol::lol: You want snow?? Go scrape the freezer! :gigI lived on the Gulf Coast most of my life-I'll take hurricanes over snow any day! Hurricanes blow in, make a lot of rain, damage, and blows away. Snow STAYS. And STAYS. We got snow in Livingston, Tex where we used to live, and it was like you said. Idiots that didn't know how to drive on it, schools closed, businesses closed--all over a few tiny inches of snow. :celebrate

We moved in February to the Tyler area and it snowed, ice stormed and snowed some more. It wasn't bad though. In Livingston it rarely snowed, and when it did, we all played in it like a bunch of kids. :weee It lasted about 3 days, just long enough, before we got sick of it.

Latest posts