Finally...Some Snow! :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not that I'd like any of the above, but I whole heartedly agree with thistlebloom. I'd take the piles of snow. I know I can handle snow -- don't necessarily like it -- but I can handle it. The first snowfall of November might be added to over the months and still be there as spring sneaks in, but like death and taxes I know the snow will fall to the warming sun and melt away by planting time.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that Syringa, Idaho's state flower, as your avatar, Thistle'?

I think you will continue to have about twice as much snow. That's okay. Anywhere in this part of the world should help. I'm not sure what too much would be and I'm not willing to look at this gift horse too closely, yet.

Would I like to live in a place with summer rain? Sure. Is the winter cold painful, the ice dangerous, the snow beautiful? Absolutely.

It was 4ºF this morning and that is like, 7 AM. I was out at about 6 PM- 2 dang hours after sunset. Just a few minutes, no jacket - painful within seconds. The bright sunshine at noon was actually melting snow. Delightful! ... glad I wasn't driving south right then. The sun angle is so low and with every surface bright white, I'd have needed welder's goggles!!!

:) Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree! And my current avatar is Japanese anemone. With the extended fall we had this year they actually bloomed out. :)
Most years the late summer freeze destroys them when they are just buds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, they are big guys then.

We need something in the photo for perspective.

Maybe someone caught the pink version here in the picture of you and your tractor ..?
7504_teg_projects045.jpg

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, they are big guys then.

We need something in the photo for perspective.

Maybe someone caught the pink version here in the picture of you and your tractor ..?
7504_teg_projects045.jpg

Steve

Haha! I was looking for that pic for my avatar as a matter of fact.
Yep, that's me and Janie rolling through those big pink anemones!

just peeked at the image info and now I know where I stashed it...

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Smart Red - I know I know haha! It's my husband that mainly wants the experience. He despises warm weather, even though he grew up here, and always kids with me about wanting to move somewhere North where there is always snow. As for Winter gardening, unfortunately we don't do any just yet. I'm new to gardening pretty much- my grandmother always kept a garden, but all I knew about it was keeping the chickens out. Until last Spring I was clueless about growing and canning/dehydrating/freezing stuff. I still am unaware of what kind of Winter crops we can grow here! But again, as for the dreams of snow, it's mainly just wanting be able to share a few snowy days here with my husband and see him happy. We all do want things we don't have, but I am learning to appreciate what I have a lot more lately. I should have worded my post a bit better, but what my point was supposed to be was that I think a short snow might be nice. My husband has been having a hard time lately and I think it would really make him happy to see snow. He was overseas the last few times it really snowed in Alabama, so he hasn't seen any since he was only about 2 years old. :)

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you @so lucky - if it's going to snow here at all it will be late here in January or in February, which is usually when we get our colder weather. Our "Snowpocalypse" (as they dubbed it) of 2014 in Birmingham was on the 29th of January. I pray if we do get snow that it won't be as terrible as that was, though.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
And I was just thinkin'...man, I'll take a blizzard and piles of snow any day over tornados and epic floods! Haha!

Same here. Snow is less destructive than floods and tornadoes, while being good for the soil. I'll take snow...I've always loved snow and have had to be out in it more than most during my life, but still love it. I'll take struggling in snow any day over working in hot and humid weather.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is something the local kids will see tomorrow when they show up for classes.
IMG_20160102_155621.jpg

I was disappointed that our sunsets haven't been more colorful, altho not quite willing to trade in the bright sunshine and blue, blue skies ... so, I turned away from yesterday's setting sun for a picture into a tree along my 8 block (2,400' ;)) walk.

Today, it's nice to see that our very overcast morning has yielded to a small afternoon snow ... I can't quite call it a "snowstorm."

Steve

Latest posts