First time making Jam! 5 pics.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the comments, guys. I really appreciate them.

Tutter, I was definitely taught by an expert. My grandma never ceases to amaze me.

Nubs, luckily for us, our Apricot tree produced waaaaaaaaaay too much this year, we had to do SOMETHING with all of them! We all tried some today and its excellent. Im pretty proud!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OEGBman, The jam looks wonderful. I know I probably don't need to advise you of this, but I'm gonna anyways. I don't know how old you are or how old your grandma is, but take every opportunity to learn what you can from her. Absorb her knowledge like a sponge. Ask her about the stuff only she is old enough to know about in your family. There will come a time, as there always must, when she won't be there anymore to ask. I miss my grandma every single day, and she's been gone now for these past 17 years. I was the one she wanted her recipe box to go to at her death (which irked my sis who doesn't even cook very much). I was given lots of newspaper and product cut-out recipes from the 1930s, 40s and 50s. Also, she was a baker in the Glendale, AZ gradeschool system, so I have lots of great handwritten baking recipes from her. Of course, the batch quantities are humungous. :rolleyes:

ml

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Jordan YUMMM.
Did 5 pints of Blue berry the same day. Really want to try the sugar free variety too. Did you do any sugar free ones or add and juice to them?

How long did you process the water bath for them?

ML

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, blurose! Im almost 18, but I know what you are saying. My grandma is my best friend, and I take as much time as possible to learn anything she can teach me. My whole life, I've been the one she's taught about everything on the property, and about plants in general. I know how to care for everything that grows at her place now, but I still have so much to learn. My grandma and I are very close. We were going through pics from when she was growing up the other day and it was pretty amazing to see the different things that were grown on her property when SHE was young compared to what we grow now.

Mary Lee, I bet the blueberry will be good, but I sure dont like those things,lol. Actually, we didnt do any sugar free ones. I never thought of that, but it might be something to look into as my grandma is a diabetic. As for the whole process, I have no idea, lol. I mixed everything and put everything in the jars, but my grandma told me when to do this and when to do that. I'll have to ask!

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OEGBman, I second bluerose's comment. Learning form our elders is more priceless than words. It is amazing that there is such a serge of "back to basics" going on with these times we live in. I think too many people are realizing that the old ways are much more earth friendly. If everyone grew what they could in their backyard, the world would be a different place. Most 18 year olds don't even know where milk comes from. If you ask most kids, they say the store. (humph---creak, groan---me getting off of my soap box)-ask
G-ma and she can explain soap box to you. :D

Also, don't know if your G-ma can use Splenda but I have started using it in place of sugar. I get a pretty good deal on it at Costco and Wall mart also has their own brand of Splenda as well. I know, I know, it is a chemical but everything in moderation. I don't eat jelly right out of the jar(I could he he) but a spoonful on your toast and you won't miss the sugar. You should also make Apricot butter with your surplus of Cots. Or apricot sauce, or chutney and of course canned apricots and dried apricots. Yummo!!!

Also been using Splenda in place of sugar in baked goods like banana bread. Happy canning. :dance

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
blurose said:
There will come a time, as there always must, when she won't be there anymore to ask. I miss my grandma every single day, and she's been gone now for these past 17 years. I was the one she wanted her recipe box to go to at her death (which irked my sis who doesn't even cook very much). I was given lots of newspaper and product cut-out recipes from the 1930s, 40s and 50s. Also, she was a baker in the Glendale, AZ gradeschool system, so I have lots of great handwritten baking recipes from her. Of course, the batch quantities are humungous. :rolleyes:
Boy is that true. I miss mine, as well, and one has been gone since I was a teen.

One set of my grandparents worked in a school cafeteria during the depression; as extra income, I think. You have a treasure there.

I know someone in Glendale, Arizona. Small world! :)

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I totally agree as well, Nubs. My friend didnt know where eggs came from, it was really sad. I was raised on homegrown eggs, veggies, fruit and meat, so I just didnt understand how people couldnt know! I dont think my grandma is a big fan of Splenda. I'll have to ask her, because we have plans to make some Plum Jelly I believe pretty soon. This was just my practice run, so next year Im hoping to do a whole lot more!

Tutter, I lost my grandpa that taught me everything about chickens when I was 10. Its been 7 years, and its still rough because I have no one to run to when I have chicken problems. This grandma is my best friend, when she goes they better fix a spot for me next to her because I cant go on without her!

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OEGBman, you WILL be able to go on BECAUSE of her. I am sure she is way proud of you and your life honors both your grandparents. Glad you realize that time is precious. Enjoy every minute.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, Nubs. My grandma is my hero, so I know that when I go, all of the knowledge she has packed in my brain will help me carry on where she left off.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Jordan,
I am so happy to hear that you are so close to your grandmother, so many kids don't want to give their older relatives the time of day and then its too late.
They have no idea the wealth of knowledge they have at their fingertips.
My nana died 15 years ago, but she lived down the street from me and I would visit her every day and I am so glad that I did.
I miss her every single day, even now. But the thing is I know that she knew how much I loved her. I would sit with her for a couple of hours everyday just to hear her talk and tell me all her stories.
You are doing the same thing for your grandma and she knows it. You spend so much time with her and are genuinely interested in what she has to teach you.
The thing is, you will have all of her knowledge to carry on to your own family some day.
Everything she taught you is her legacy and someday it will be yours. You could use all that knowlege to work with kids someday or with your own family.
I bet you also make her very happy by spending all this time with her.
You are a great kid Jordan.

Latest posts