First time making Jam! 5 pics.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Natalie, I have NO idea how I missed your post!

Thank you, very much. It drives me insane when my cousins sit in the house all day and play video games and they live at my grandmas. I would kill to live out there so I could spend the day in my garden & with her, and they act like its nothing at all. I know she's proud of me, she tells me often. Im the one she talks to about everything, especially the pain she gets from her neuropathy (sp). She acts tough with everyone else, but she explains everything to me, and I know its because she trusts me enough, I'm always the one who throws out and arm for her when she needs someone to lean on. Im always the one who makes sure she has her cane, and when everyone else walks ahead of her, Im the one taking 10 steps a minute just to make sure she's got someone to lean on. She's my best friend, and I absorb everything she teaches me like a sponge. Whoa, look at me. Mr. Jabberjaws! Short story.... My grandma is awesome. :D

amyquilt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Great job! I've been wanting to make some jellies/jams and do some canning, but must wait til next year. We are moving in a few weeks and don't want to move alot of food.

Lady_Irish

Sprout
Reaction score
Awesome job! I live so very far away from my mum who used to can alot when we were kids. So i don't recall anything she did! I'm still hoping to find someone nearby to teach me first hand! I must admit I'm a bit jealous!!! Again, great job!!! :weee

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Amy! I think we are getting ready to make some Plum Jelly soon, Im pretty excited!

Thanks, Lady! Im so glad to have my grandma nearby, she teaches me so much.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
SWEEEEEEEEEEEET !! Good stuff Jordan, it reminds me and looks jist the first time i did that. I made peach and plum jam.
BRRRRING ON THE PANCAKES !!!!!!!!
( we seriously need a droool emoticon)

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
theOEGBman said:
Thanks, Jim! (Or Janet,lol). We made plum jam today, I'll have to post some pics!
Jim: (lol) , yer welcome Jordan. Don't be teasin us now. Where's the pics ?!?!?!

beth1966

Leafing Out
Reaction score
blurose said:
OEGBman, The jam looks wonderful. I know I probably don't need to advise you of this, but I'm gonna anyways. I don't know how old you are or how old your grandma is, but take every opportunity to learn what you can from her. Absorb her knowledge like a sponge. Ask her about the stuff only she is old enough to know about in your family. There will come a time, as there always must, when she won't be there anymore to ask. I miss my grandma every single day, and she's been gone now for these past 17 years. I was the one she wanted her recipe box to go to at her death (which irked my sis who doesn't even cook very much). I was given lots of newspaper and product cut-out recipes from the 1930s, 40s and 50s. Also, she was a baker in the Glendale, AZ gradeschool system, so I have lots of great handwritten baking recipes from her. Of course, the batch quantities are humungous. :rolleyes:
Oh, I so agree! And just plain spend time with her! My grandma will be 90 at the end of the month, Granddad will be 91 in November. They recently moved here to CA after living virtually all their lives in OH. They were big time gardeners in their day, always won the Mum Festival awards. As the nurse in the family I'm the designated one to help them schedule and get to all their doctor/dentist/lab/etc.. appointments. I love doing it and afterwards take them to lunch and shopping wherever they want to go. The nursery is a favorite place. We are going to their place tomorrow evening as Grandma has a list of honey-do's for my husband. I'm taking them some homegrown eggs and might bake up some banana bread or something. I know my grandma's recipe box will go to my aunt. So I will ask if I can scan or photocopy some of her treasures for myself and my daughter. Come to think of it, maybe I'll organize them into categories, color-copy them, and have them bound into cookbooks to share with all the grandkids! That way we can all enjoy them!