For Bay Dandelion Queen

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What!??

You mean my little explorations weren't just la materia prima? (Dandelions do very well outside of my giardini ;).)

The body butters, you are saying, have this value? Are they made with a tincture of the roots?

I have this little notion of a partnership with our plants. After all, we have been together for generations and prosper together or, in many cases, not at all.

:) Steve

Mrs. Thankful

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Sure... I use my own recipe...

I gather as many dandelion heads as I can (flowers). I try to get at least 2 mason jars full. (yes, I ask all the neighbors for theirs too ).

Then I spread them between 2 screens to dry (they have a high moisture content)

I let them dry 2-3 days. (I don't want them completely dry just very wilty looking)

I then put them all into a crockpot.

I cover with Meadowfoam Seed oil (I buy this, one day will make it - this is the carrier oil- you can use any carrier)

In about 6-8 hours in the crockpot, I use a cheese cloth and strain the mixture. Set aside and whip separately.

I immediately whip the oil into butter. As it cools, it hardens some, fold in the strained out mixture after you have whipped it separately. Sometimes, I'll add beeswax to make this more of a slave than a butter.

I also make this a little different when I have violets or pansies available (will grow some this year)....If I do, I use the flowers in the same manner as the dandelion flowers and add them at the same time to the crockpot in the beginning. (this will make your butter/salve a pretty purple or blueish color).

I always add lemon essential oil (10 drops) for antiseptic properties and just in case I left some water by mistake so it won't mold.

So for this concoction, you get a butter (or salve) with the following properties:

Meadowfoam Seed oil -
It is higher in fatty acids so it is excellent for skin and hair, has long carbon chains so that it doesn't have a greasy feel.
It has longer stability and will last longer before going off but it's 'breathable' and will not coat skin or clog pores. It adds some UV protection and that is always good. It's also full of tocopherol, the main good thing in Vitamin E and anti-oxidants that help to repair some cell damage. It helps to prevent skin dehydration, keeping skin 'moist' and glowing.

Dandelion - helps with sore muscles, achy & arthritic joints, rough, chapped skin. Full of Vitamin A & C.

Violets - Anti-inflammatory and full of Vitamin C.

Other options -
Add yarrow (for inset repellent)
Add eucalyptus and/or camphor for sinus/cold/flu times

***I dibble and dabble and make my own, I don't have any formal training and am definitely not a doctor - use your own judgement when working with herbs or consult your doctor :)

Hope this helps!

-

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow!

That's great.

Okay, you probably already know this but, just trying to be TEG-helpful ;). Pansies and other Viola can be just about your earliest plant starts so, look around for that seed soon and don't miss your opportunity!

Meadowfoam? I see by the USDA map that I may have stumbled across it around here at sometime but I didn't know it if I did.

Steve

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
meadowfoam2.jpg