Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have had a few cool, clear and beautiful days when the temps never got out of the 80s and the nights dropped into the 50s....LOVING IT!!!!! :weee

Been too stinkin' hot to make bread this summer and we've been a long time without good bread, so finally getting to make a batch tonight.

Tried a neato thing tonight and will be utilizing this item with breadmaking from now on...a disposable shower cap. We use them to cover bowls that do not have lids or large utility bowls...they are cheaper than those made for that purpose and they are more flexible, fitting over bigger basins than anything they sell.

Anyhoo, instead of draping a towel or plastic wrap over the dough ball for letting it proof, this shower cap fits over this bowl perfectly and it has enough room in it to let the dough expand as far as it needs to go. Love it!

Soon the house will smell of fresh baked bread once again and it's long overdue...tells me that cool weather is on the way. :love

mythreesons

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I love making homemade bread for my family..it just shows so much love for my family that feeds your soul and its just plain gratifying all ways around..

I however can't knead the dough do to torn rotator cuffs so I use my bread machine or kitchenaid.

I no longer buy bread flour I use a substitute and it saves me lots of money here is th recipe..

Bread Flour Substitute
1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1 cup all-purpose flour

In a bowl sift the ingredients together..

I don't sift mine I just mix it then fill my marked bread flour gallon jar.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Making bread this morning...the house is soon to smell heavenly and I'll have something good to sop up egg yolks with. Nothing quite so good as fresh eggs and fresh made bread eaten together. :drool

Family coming out for a visit, a picnic, a fun time...it's supposed to be in the 60s today. :weee

If a person could bottle the smell of homemade bread baking, they'd make a pile of money, wouldn't they? :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not much of a big bread eater, in truth....but if it's homemade bread, I'm right there. Store bought bread tastes like styrofoam looks to me, just no flavor or texture to be found, so I give it a pass.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, I can only eat homemade hamburger buns. Store ones don't even come close. Luckily for me there is a local bakery that makes them and they are delicious!

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're so right about the fresh baked aroma of bread Bee, nothing tops it.
I've been making cinnamon rolls this winter. I stumbled across a one hour recipe online and it's really good! All those years of making them where it took most of a day.....o_O

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anyone make Chapati bread? When working the dough the thought of silly putty used to go through my head, this one I slipped on a stone and baked in the oven.

Lately I've had to buy store bought and god is it horrible, they've forgotten how to make it. Some of it is so light airy the slices start to dry out the minute you take them out of the bag and flavor? What flavor, new and improved, you've got to be joking:(.

I still make focaccia once in awhile topped with herbs and a sprinkling of sea salt. It's the standing, kneading the dough that plays havoc with these old bones but, every once in awhile I bite the bullet now that I have a Kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook, it does most of the work for me :).

Bread machines are not for me just another thing to find a place to store.

Annette

Latest posts