Garden humor thread..

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
fresh eggs for sale.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nothing to do with gardening but this old joke which I cannot remember correctly really but I think it explains the idleness we are experiencing today.
I recalled this joke after weeks of ordering a book gift for my old friend, he can't see very well so I sent the money for a page magnifying glass for him along with a link too his helper who could easily click onto this link but STILL she hasn't ordered or passed on the link to someone who will :th

The joke ...
There was a very rich man, his fortune was made by being a fantastic inventor. Over the years he became so very rich but also incredibly lazy .

He had invented number of buttons he could press too do his house cleaning, another set of buttons too make his food and coffee he could even shower with barely moving just these few buttons too press.

Eventually he thought all these buttons were far too much work for him so he would have to test his brain a little bit further and get everything to function off one button, this took time but being the clever lazy man that he was he was sure to succeed...
Now his next big challenge was how could he get that one button to work without him actually having to press it.

To add: This was told too me about 40 years ago by someone with a totally different culture from ours, so they had a different humor. Nevertheless I found it funny plus I cannot remember exactly how it was worded so made it up to fit the meaning behind this joke.

The way most people behave today in 2022 including the way companies and banks are organised so fits in with these words that I have so poorly written.
It now feels to me like the person that made it all up had a future premonition of some kind :)

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The main problem with that guess is that those plants around it are definitely NOT Echinacea. Not that I can remember what they ARE, though I see it in the nurseries every year (I almost want to say Arctotis fastuosa, also known as Prince of the Veldt or Zulu Daisy, but I don't think it's that either.)
Just got back from the farmer's market (which also doubles as a nursery) and I now KNOW what they are! According to the sign, the correct name is Osteospermum (which would explain the mistake) common name African Daisy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The joke ...
I have been thinking about this several times over several days, Marie.

Go back again 40 years, then, back further another 25. We didn't have a refrigerator. There was an icebox. If you wanted some ice, you could break some off with an ice pick (for @baymule 's Texas coffee and my fruity tea ;)).

I have talked too much about the absence of plastic in our home but here are some comparisons. That dry fruit for tea comes in a plastic bag with not only a zip lock top but it was made so it stands upright on my counter!

DW recently "made the mistake" of buying honey in a jar! I just finished the honey in the plastic Bear so rinsed it in hot water and now it's ready to be carefully filled from the jar. It will take some effort but I was just lucky to have that Bear so that I can squeeze honey into my bowl of hot cereal this morning and in the future.

Steve
who has been disappointed to see tiny bits of plastic that has blown into the yard recently from who-knows-where! yesterday, there were cherry blossoms blowing in from a tree about 200 feet away. think how much more pleasant ...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just got back from the farmer's market (which also doubles as a nursery) and I now KNOW what they are! According to the sign, the correct name is Osteospermum (which would explain the mistake) common name African Daisy.

the mistake likely being someone using a spell checker or typing assistant and selecting the word that would pop up if you skipped a letter when typing and put in osteop? at least that is my guess. :)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
the mistake likely being someone using a spell checker or typing assistant and selecting the word that would pop up if you skipped a letter when typing and put in osteop? at least that is my guess. :)
Don't even have to get that far. "Osteoporosis" popped up first in my Google search when I was double checking as soon as I had put in "osteo".

When I have some time, I should probably go on the web and look up what Osteospermum seeds look like, to see if the name is deserved (Osteospermum would mean "bony seeds", which is not something I would usually expect from a member of the daisy family.)

Latest posts