digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And from the Younger Generation perspective:

Screenshot_2022-12-08-09-43-25_kindlephoto-71180799.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
As hard as it is to believe, according to the label, THIS is a lime. I suppose I'll have a better idea of what happened when I cut it open (on the off chance it has seeds in there, I don't want to cut until I have a pot waiting).

lemons are supposedly an ancient hybrid but there may now also be many other more recent crosses that have come about. i've sure seen some limes that looked more like lemons (but tasted like limes) and we had some navel oranges the other day that were more yellow than orange but they did still taste like oranges.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
lemons are supposedly an ancient hybrid but there may now also be many other more recent crosses that have come about. i've sure seen some limes that looked more like lemons (but tasted like limes) and we had some navel oranges the other day that were more yellow than orange but they did still taste like oranges.
Well, it should clarify. It wasn't that there were a pile of lemon looking limes and I picked up one, it was that I picked up this one lime from a pile of otherwise normal looking limes. So we probably aren't talking about a newly developed variety, but either a freak lime or a natural cross (then again, the ugli fruit was a naturally occurring cross, and look how well IT did.)
Yes, lemons are originally a cross (citron X something else, I think). So are what we would usually think of as "limes" (key lime X citron).

And, if you go back into the old records, you will see I once found an orange that looked like a lemon as well (except for being still orange in color).

Part of the problem is names. For a long time, I thought creole limes meant the somewhat lighter green, smooth shiny skinned limes that showed up in the spring, and that I knew were the better choice both in flavor and juice content. But on a recent YouTube video, the showed a creole lime, and it is a different sour fruit that looks more like a green orange. I'm STILL not sure if calamansi are a subgroup of calamondins, or just synonyms. I say Key Lime (like most Americans) but Mexican Lime and Bartenders lime are equally common, and, in much of Asia, that is just a "lime". Ichang Lemons, Taiching Lemons, Desi Lemons, all are different things. Likewise Makrut limes (or as they used to be known Kaffir Limes) Rangpur Limes, finger limes and so on.

nune

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Peas: I am a legume. I will survive 15 degrees and only lose 1 (one) pod. :] You can count on me!

Peanuts: I am a legume. I was domesticated in an extremely hot area. One flash of 25 degrees out can kill me. I am so sorry.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
As hard as it is to believe, according to the label, THIS is a lime. I suppose I'll have a better idea of what happened when I cut it open (on the off chance it has seeds in there, I don't want to cut until I have a pot waiting).
Alternative possibility: someone saw you coming @Pulsegleaner , and moved a sticker just to mess with your head. :lol:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alternative possibility: someone saw you coming @Pulsegleaner , and moved a sticker just to mess with your head. :lol:
They have to be really lucky then, it was a LOT greener when I got it, so to do that, they'd have to find a green lemon first.

Same problem with finding a loose sticker and sticking it on the wrong fruit, you'd need to find a green lemon first. (plus, as anyone can tell you, those fruit stickers are hard to pull off in once piece, and even HARDER to stick back on in one.)

And even if they saw me coming, they'd have no idea I'd go by that area (okay, I'm usually over there to pick up a bag or two of key limes for mom, but that is hardly what they'd know me for; they'd know me as the guy who usually cleans out all of the bottles of Deep Rose (a rose scented lemonade) or Pineapple Mint Shaka (an herbal iced tea) when I come. It's not that I don't BUY things there, but comparatively few things are things I buy every time, or even often.

Speaking of fruit and stickers, at the farmers market a few weeks ago, I found a few (probably navel) oranges that proved to be truly excellent, FAR better than the average. They may have super thick, tough skins (so thick and tough I couldn't even peel them, and had to quarter them to get the insides out,) and have super tough membranes (so you had to sort of chew and spit out) but I don't think I've had sweeter ones in I don't know how long. I only managed to find two (they must have already almost sold out, and been replaced with more common, mundane brands). But if you see any oranges from someone called Paramount Citrus, buy them!

Latest posts