Garden humor thread..

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If I was to hazard a guess, it probably started with an English speaker trying to say "caca" (which is a perfectly acceptable word for dung in French or Spanish*) and messing it up. The same way "gardez d'le eau" ("watch out for the water", what you used to say before emptying your chamber pot out the window into the gutter,) became "gardy loo" (which is why "loo" is still used in Britain as a word for "bathroom") or how "Joile Rouge" ("happy or pretty red", the nickname French pirates used for the red flag they flew) got corrupted into "Jolly Roger" (by which point, it usually wasn't red anymore**).

*As in caca-poule, the old, not nearly as appetizing name for what we now call chocolate pudding fruit.

**Though, of the two authenticated Jolly Rogers still in existence, one actually IS red. Pirates tended to use a LOT of variations of the flag according to personal tastes.
That's where 'loo' comes from!? Wow, I had no idea about that. And yikes.

Yes, I'm very familiar with the other caa-caa as it sounds in French. All mothers use that for little kids picking up something gross that they shouldn't touch. It's code for put that down. In fact, my dog has been trained inadvertently that when I say caa-caa it means 'drop it' or get away from whatever gross thing your investigating.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know I should read up the thread to see what started caca pudding commentary but I am going to save it for those deep winter nights. This can stand alone quite nicely.
Oh, chocolate pudding fruit is nothing scary. It a kind of tropical persimmon relative with green skin and flesh that, when it is ripe looks like chocolate pudding (despite what a lot of people say, however, it does not TASTE like chocolate pudding, it still tastes more or less like a persimmon).

and "poule" doesn't mean pudding, it means chicken. Why it doesn't have the final 't" to make it poulet I don't know (maybe, since the fruit grows in the tropics, and the "t" is silent, the transcriber didn't know to write it down.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
acorn man on pot.jpg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, chocolate pudding fruit is nothing scary. It a kind of tropical persimmon relative with green skin and flesh that, when it is ripe looks like chocolate pudding (despite what a lot of people say, however, it does not TASTE like chocolate pudding, it still tastes more or less like a persimmon).

and "poule" doesn't mean pudding, it means chicken. Why it doesn't have the final 't" to make it poulet I don't know (maybe, since the fruit grows in the tropics, and the "t" is silent, the transcriber didn't know to write it down.

1670195667077.png

Latest posts