Garden humor thread..

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
tenor.gif

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most women just wish that the man she married stayed the way he appeared to be when she met him - capable of finding normal household things on their own, able to withstand a cold without 24hr nursing & a trip to the ER, giving gifts without resentment, planning surprises for the fun of it, carrying 1/2 of a conversation for more than 2 mins, able to purchase groceries, clothing and pay bills without supervision..... ya know - be an adult ;)
Yes!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most women just wish that the man she married stayed the way he appeared to be when she met him - capable of finding normal household things on their own, able to withstand a cold without 24hr nursing & a trip to the ER, giving gifts without resentment, planning surprises for the fun of it, carrying 1/2 of a conversation for more than 2 mins, able to purchase groceries, clothing and pay bills without supervision..... ya know - be an adult ;)
Exactly the way he appeared, in her mind. Too many people (on both sides) look at their potential spouse and see, not the person they are, but the person they either imagine or hope they can change them into. And when this proves to be impossible (or, at least too difficult for them to accomplish) they blame the other person for not making it easy.

I often think it might not be a bad idea for there to be a law (both civic AND religious) that a potential couple should have to live together for ten or twenty years BEFORE they can get married. If they can still stand each other after that time, THEN they can make it official.

Of course, that would cause some pretty major problems with regards to sex and children. Either all relationships would have to be open, religions would have to re-think their views on children born out of wedlock, or you'd have a LOT of sexually frustrated men and women all of the time (under those circumstances the term "incel" might actually make some literal sense).

Anyhow

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems that DW & I had unusual marriage, since other than an argument once a year (which usually started with a thoughtless comment on my part) we got along so well. I often told her that I loved everything about her - except her poor taste in men. :rolleyes:

But yeah, that adulting thing can be a challenge at times (especially when it has to be re-learned).

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ahh. Just curious really about this over arching omnipotent judge everyone keeps referring towards. I have read a few greek classics and love the old words but this character seems less a diety save the omnipotence?

Is this a form of the common sense?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems that DW & I had unusual marriage, since other than an argument once a year (which usually started with a thoughtless comment on my part) we got along so well. I often told her that I loved everything about her - except her poor taste in men. :rolleyes:

But yeah, that adulting thing can be a challenge at times (especially when it has to be re-learned).
In the town of Dunmow, in England, the is a longstanding tradition called the Dunmow Flitch. Every year, on Whit Sunday, a panel of six maidens and six bachelors is convened. Anyone that has been married for more than a year and a day can come to the panel and try to convince them that, in that year and a day, they have never wished they were not married. If they can convince them, they win a flitch (whole side of bacon). In 900 years, it has only been won three times.

Terry Pratchett gave a similar tradition for his town of Lancre. There though, if anyone manages to convince the panel, they take the original flitch (which is also 900 years old, and now as hard as oak) and beat them over the head with it for being a filthy liar! But then the local people generally take the victim to the pub for a round of drinks and everyone's happy.

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
As hard as it is to believe, according to the label, THIS is a lime. I suppose I'll have a better idea of what happened when I cut it open (on the off chance it has seeds in there, I don't want to cut until I have a pot waiting).
Finally cut it open last night. No seeds (well no mature seeds, there were some little nubs of seed coat matter that MIGHT have been abortions) and the taste was more or less lime normal. Funny brown discoloration on the core as well (which was slightly hollow)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ahh. Just curious really about this over arching omnipotent judge everyone keeps referring towards. I have read a few greek classics and love the old words but this character seems less a diety save the omnipotence?

Is this a form of the common sense?

this sort of topic often gets me in trouble and thusly i find it more useful to pull the hair out of my ears.

Latest posts