Garden on the forest edge.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
In late May, the rhododendrons bloom.
View attachment 10752

They need acidic soil, low PH. It is necessary to mix the old pine needles, peat and sand. Yama need not deep, but wide.
I LOVE this photo. the rhododendrons are a lovely color. And I was DELIGHTED to see the lizard. :) Do you know what kind it is? A very cool visitor to your lovely gardens. (By the way, I think your name Larisa, is also as lovely as the garden flowers.)

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grass grows very quickly. It is necessary to mow. But at this time the birds make nests in currants. Noise may scare them. This is an old nest.
IMG_8198.JPG

There are hand-scythe. But when we were in town, hares came and brought their offspring. Small hares are always a lot. They are hard to spot in the grass and they do not want to run away. Mow dangerous, it can cause injury. Must wait.
IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a child, my mom hand-raised a baby wild rabbit that my uncle had unfortunately found when weedeating. It had only a small cut on the top of it's head. It healed and grew up and we had him for 8 years.

My DH passed over a nest in the front yard a couple years ago, only evident by the cloud of fluff that scattered after the mower deck passed over. They were all ok, thankfully! It was neat to see the sweet little babies in their nest. (I tried not to think too hard about the fact that they would grow up to be plant munchers!) The mama hides them well in plain sight. Their instinct is to stay where mama put them and hunker down, still their best chance of survival all in all.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Larisa ! The Carduus , known as "Russian Thistle " in the US , along with the "Star Thistle" are some of the worst invasive plants as the Russian thistle will grow up to 6+ feet tall and the Star thistle will grow to 3+feet tall and both will form almost inpenatrable thickets and often cover quite a few acres in many areas of California. The best way to eliminate them is to spray Roundup ( hoeing and other means are just a pipe dream ) before the flower stage and may take several years of spraying to control them as their seeds are viable and persist for years. :th

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bobm, Thank you!
Our thistle 3 feet high. Do not growing. We fight with Herácléum. Spray Roundup does not kill him.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
bobm, Thank you!
Our thistle 3 feet high. Do not growing. We fight with Herácléum. Spray Roundup does not kill him.
I hear that herbicides will kill them at the juvenile stage before flowering buds form. Other control mentioned is to harvest the flower seed heads before / at full maturity as the plant dies after the mature seed is spread. Contoll Fire is another tool. The seeds are viable for 5 or more years in the soil.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is an evergreen rhododendron. He must hide a warm cloth in winter. The spring sun can burn the buds.
IMG_0431.JPG

Other rhododendrons shed their leaves in winter. But they should have a warm shelter too.
IMG_7837.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 274

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a beautiful place you have. It is the perfect escape from the city. How peaceful and relaxing. Thank you for sharing.

Latest posts