garden swing help

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks! :D
Yes, I've got a small table that he built for the computer. Since I tossed the home PC, the table now holds all the coffee gear.
Of course, there are the decks around the house and the interior of the barn - but having something that is just for enjoying (not utility or work) is nice. And this one is extra special since he built it for Mom.

I just now saw your post about this swing. It is really a nice swing and since DH is gone, I look around at things he built and will always try to keep what i can. Your swing is beautiful.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still making progress - original frame repaired (I hope).
Wore my back out flipping it back and forth getting the 'patch' on the broken top piece and then standing it up again.
Will 'weight test' it with a loop of rope and then - I hope - move it to it's home and hang the swing.

Cut out the jagged ends of the broken 2x6 - added a piece to replace the lost length - sandwiched between 2 2x6 sections
12.2.17c.jpg

It's standing again!
This is actually the 'back'. The hardware that the chains hang from show on the front.
I'm probably going to add a 2x4 along the bottom between each end to keep the legs from wanting to spread apart...
12.2.17.jpg

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Well~ that looks pretty good~ was the beam you put the scabs on broken or just cracked```

When you weight test it~ hang the weight from the two places where the swing will be hung~ not smack in the center```

I think it's good~ if it starts to sag later you can build a new one in place~ but that way down the road~ how you gona move it~ got a truck```

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was broken. The legs have been leaning up against separate sides of a tree all this time. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the advice, I was debating about hanging a rope from the chain hooks or just looping it over the beam to test it.
I'm hoping that I can get a neighbor to come over and help me carry it to the new spot.... with lots of breaks to huff and puff and complain about it being heavy and hurting our hands and such. ;)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane time for a Christmas party. When guest have had enough spiked egg nog time for a party game. Who is strongest man. Swing will be use for test of strength. It is a given mix some males with alcohol and they will try and impress the ladies.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, it's hard to be the "helpless female" when you are so independent and just tackle things yourself. But I bet you can sweet talk some strong muscle to come help you!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, it's hard to be the "helpless female" when you are so independent and just tackle things yourself. But I bet you can sweet talk some strong muscle to come help you!

I feel like I have a limited number of 'helpless female' favors that I can expect :rolleyes: , so I save those for the BIG things that I can NOT manage without help.
Besides, there is always the complication of having the 'big strong men' tell me that what I'm trying to work out using what I have on hand is stupid and that what I really want to do is going to cost me 3x as much and require rental of at least 1 large, loud machine.:\

Latest posts