Giant Pink Banana Squash PIE!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had our 3 granddaughters for the weekend. The 13 year old spent one night, then left to go stay at friends houses. So the 4 and 5 year old helped me pick out a Giant Pink Banana Squash to make a pumpkin pie. @digitS' I told you if I made a pie, it would get its own thread and here it is! LOL LOL

We cut it in half, then cut the half in half, lengthwise. We scooped out the seeds to a chorus of THAT STINKS.

CDF62D98-9AB6-49F7-B2D0-19967AEBC2C4.jpeg

Then I had to peel it. I took a half and cut it in slices. A sharp knife soon removed the rind.

152679EF-DE3D-4385-8D0A-2B65765AF710.jpeg

I cut the slices in chunks and put in a pot to simmer.

8CFF0BEC-FAA7-42CD-B295-5357481C6098.jpeg

The other half I put cut side down in an aluminum pan. I added a little water and covered with foil to hold in the moisture and steam the squash done. I remembered a thread on cooking a rumba squash, I don’t know if I did it right, but it got cooked!

B35DFEA8-5573-4FAE-8355-517D9B058B36.jpeg

Then with some expert help, we scooped out the cooked squash.

0BA3AEF4-152F-4318-98EC-2E0267B38E78.jpeg

Then we measured out a cup of squash and a cup of heavy cream. Fro the rest we followed Libbey’s pumpkin pie recipe. We poured it into a pie shell, home made pie crust, and baked it. Mmmmm it sure smelled good!

The little girls could hardly wait, but I told them they had to eat supper first. We made pizzas on flour tortillas withmy home grown/made pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese. Our son had come in and our hay guy delivered hay, mentioned that his wife was gone, so we invited him to supper. The grown ups got onions and jalapeños added to their pizzas.

Then the PIE!

It was delicious. Best pie ever.

CFAF8106-2ADD-44F1-A711-B8D1C341A026.jpeg

The only criticism I can offer is that the water added in cooking made the squash purée too goopy. The other half of the squash, I roasted it dry, scooped out the squash and it is in the refrigerator. Haven’t had time to try it. We’ll see how that works and if it is thicker and not goopy.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had our 3 granddaughters for the weekend. The 13 year old spent one night, then left to go stay at friends houses. So the 4 and 5 year old helped me pick out a Giant Pink Banana Squash to make a pumpkin pie. @digitS' I told you if I made a pie, it would get its own thread and here it is! LOL LOL

We cut it in half, then cut the half in half, lengthwise. We scooped out the seeds to a chorus of THAT STINKS.

View attachment 37225

Then I had to peel it. I took a half and cut it in slices. A sharp knife soon removed the rind.

View attachment 37226

View attachment 37227

The other half I put cut side down in an aluminum pan. I added a little water and covered with foil to hold in the moisture and steam the squash done. I remembered a thread on cooking a rumba squash, I don’t know if I did it right, but it got cooked!

View attachment 37229

View attachment 37228

Then we measured out a cup of squash and a cup of heavy cream. Fro the rest we followed Libbey’s pumpkin pie recipe. We poured it into a pie shell, home made pie crust, and baked it. Mmmmm it sure smelled good!

The little girls could hardly wait, but I told them they had to eat supper first. We made pizzas on flour tortillas withmy home grown/made pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese. Our son had come in and our hay guy delivered hay, mentioned that his wife was gone, so we invited him to supper. The grown ups got onions and jalapeños added to their pizzas.

Then the PIE!

View attachment 37230

The only criticism I can offer is that the water added in cooking made the squash purée too goopy. The other half of the squash, I roasted it dry, scooped out the squash and it is in the refrigerator. Haven’t had time to try it. We’ll see how that works and if it is thicker and not goopy.
After doing all of these steps, I take large coffee filters, put them in a strainer, put the prepared squash/pumpkin in and let the the water drain out. I freeze it in portions for the holidays. When you thaw it more water separates out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Boy, Bay'.

It's been since the 60's since I've used Pink Banana for a punkin pie! I have no idea how I cooked it but I'm sure that it wasn't in a microwave ;).

I've done that, nuked squash for pie filling. Roasted in the oven. I wonder if we used a double boiler - real common in Mom's kitchen. Usually, the squash is steamed, these days.

There were years with the Libby can once gardening moved so close to 49° North. Still remember cutting the Pink Banana on the splitting block with an axe. 🎶 Memories light the corners of my mind Misty water-colored memories of the way we were

☺ Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
dry roasting has always been my preference for cooking squash of many kinds. i like the bit of brown it gets on the edges. and, yes, not as goopy. :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

View attachment 37225

View attachment 37226

View attachment 37227

View attachment 37229

View attachment 37228

Then the PIE!

View attachment 37230

You could also roast it instead to reduce water from the beginning.

Latest posts