Giant Pink Banana Squash PIE!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It gives me a certain satisfaction in growing the squash and making pies from it. Yeah, it’s a process but it was drizzly cold yesterday, besides laundry, I didn’t have anything else to do. LOL

I gave one to a friend, she is excited to try making pumpkin pie from scratch. I took pictures of what I did with comments and texted it to her.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering does Bay' has a big pot of Hoppin John on the stove, today? I was thinking about who might be serving that, for good luck ;).

On another thread, there was a question about using squash. Hoppin John with winter squash might be good but, I don't suppose it would be traditional ;). A "stew" of cubed squash with beans and sausage was something that I made years ago. DW wasn't really a fan. She appreciates my Portuguese kale soup so I continue to make that :).

Here's something else that I do with squash: Pumpkin Spice Latte Cookies. I'm not gonna ask the barista for that latte in a cup but these cookies are good! (I left out the cardamom, don't know anything about it. And, have instant coffee - you really can taste it in the cookies :).)

This is one of those scroll, scroll, scroll thru the dialog to get to the recipe, online things but ... if you arrive at the very bottom of the page there is the recipe that I use. Don't make much use of squash but these are real tasty. LINK

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Black eyed peas with ham chunks, simmered on the stove. Cabbage steamed in butter and cheesy garlic French bread. Yummy!

Steve, those cookies look good.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:drool How did I manage to miss this most delicious of threads, food my favourite subject.

I'm to tired to catch up so leaving this reply then I can find this again tomorrow. 😴

I always get lost.

Finnie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is one of those scroll, scroll, scroll thru the dialog to get to the recipe, online things but ... if you arrive at the very bottom of the page there is the recipe that I use. Don't make much use of squash but these are real tasty. LINK
This recipe looks yummy! I’m adding it to my (long) list of fun things to make.
Btw, next time you go to that recipe, look for the “jump to recipe” button at the top. Most of these long blog recipes have that button. Not all do, but this one did.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you have Pink Banana squash again in 2021, Bay'?

Our "pumpkin" pie season began, yesterday. I'll cheat and move my earlier picture on this thread:

img_20201022_085406-jpg.37291

There were 4 pies but I didn't snap a picture. Still have enough for 4 batches of those Latte cookies but I think I'd better go with a simple pumpkin raisin recipe - calls for more pumpkin ;).

Also, we had pumpkin soup. The addition of shallots adds to it, especially, really adds flavor, ginger too. Can't say that I'm pumpkinned-out, yet ;)! The squash vines haven't been threatened with frost and I'd prefer those Buttercup and Kabocha to be for winter fare but there are plenty at the moment.

Hey, I learned that @catjac1975 's favorite for pie ~ Rumbo ~ is a Kabocha! I don't suppose that I'll ever try it in my garden. Several Kabocha went through a trial run out there but only Cha Cha matures properly. Even at that, Cha Cha had one bad season out of the dozen or so that I have grown it. Buttercup comes through since back in the Pleistocene :).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
buttercup are delicious! we have some interesting results this year. i'm not sure if they're a cross between the kabochas and the baby blue hubbard or not, but they are sure different than anything we've grown here before.

while i'm thinking of it i'll go out and get some pictures. :)

there's a few regular sized squash next to it for comparison (and my size 7&1/2 EEE duck foot).

DSC_20210917_172940-0400_1106_Squash_thm.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts