Got my vacuum sealer from Amazon today

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've been looking at one for quite a while, reading what people are saying here and on other boards. Think I'm convinced. Petey, that's brilliant about the lettuce! I rarely get lettuce any more because it goes off before we can get it eaten.

Think I definitely want a jar attachment; I've read a lot of folk say it works fantastic on the quart sized jars but can be a bit tricky on the pints...although I have quarts with the smaller tops and pints with the larger ones, so...maybe it's just the lid size...and if that's the case, I could surely make it work well just by always using a wide mouth jar, regardless of the volume.

I think you're right Hoodat. I've been looking at a lot of reviews on various sites and there'll be one extolling the virtues of a particular activity followed by one that complains that the very same thing doesn't work. I suspect those are written by people who just flat aren't doing it correctly...plus it has to take a try or two...most everything new does :)

So, I'm in the process of trying to find the best deal...about the only thing I can think of right off hand is that 20% coupon Bed Bath & Beyond sends periodically...waiting for another to come in the mail :)

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mickey, I got mine for half price on a website special, and it came with bag rolls, a marinating container and a couple other containers. They have specials frequently on the Foodsaver website. You might watch on it daily for awhile if you aren't in a huge hurry. http://www.foodsaver.com/

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks, Petey. I did look a few days ago...went through another site I found that was supposed to give me $20 and free shipping, but when I tried to order, it didn't give the $ off :( Of course, since then, they've been sending me 3 emails a day nagging me, LOL. Which model number did you get? And did it come with the attachment for jars, or was that a separate kit you needed to order? I'm kind of leaning toward one of those upright ones to save on counter space. I've found that unless I have a tool handy I tend not to use it as much as I should :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
sparks said:
Has anyone used the jar attachment? Not sure if it would be worth getting one. I do dehydrate a lot of things
I have used the jar attachment. Not very often though. It does a real job on the marshmallows, just like in the ads.

I have used the jar attachment more often for marinating my beef jerky than anything else although I now remember I have dehydrated veggies in vac-sealed jars.

Love, Smart Red

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
When sealing juicy things like soup and stew it's best to prefreeze so the suction won't pull juices into your vacuum. Be sure the place where the seal will be formed is clean and dry or you may not get a good seal. Don't skimp on the bags if you use rolls. Leave enough room for a good seal. It's agravating when you get a bad seal and end up having to bag the bag to get a good one.
Most of the complaints I've seen come from those who didn't take the time to learn use it properly. As with any other appliance there are right and wrong ways to do it.
Right on all counts. I prefreeze most things, cooked meats, blanched vegetables, about everything. It's just part of my routine. It reallyhelps if I leave the machine out where I can see it so I can remember I have things in the freezer the next morning.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine is the v3485. It's a couple years old. It has the bag storage and cutter on it, which i like because it takes up a lot less space. I just made a quilted cover to go over it and and it stays on my 'counter' as well. I would definitely get the rolls to make your own bags. Its a lot cheaper and more convenient. The jar sealer attachment I bought on Amazon. It wasn't very expensive.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would advise to always get the Food Saver brand bags. There are cheaper ones out there but the quality is lower and the material thinner. You don't always get a good seal on a thin bag.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how certain things are such a blessing to us? I know this will revolutionize your food saving.

I borrow my mom's. I should use it more to get away from waste. Nothing worse than opening up meat to see it's ruined!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I keep finding new uses for my vacuum sealer. I use it to keep insects out of my flour and things like bread crumbs, rice and beans. Use the rolls and make your bags oversize. That way you can clip off the top and use as much flour as you need and then reseal the same bag several times.

Latest posts